cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
not-a-happy-man
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Appalled at BT lack of customer care. BT infinity = 12Mb (ADSL2 was 5). Neighbors have same issue

OK 

So we've gone through the DLM period and what a suprise, the speed has remained unchanged. 12 down, 1.2 up.

This was a brand new openreach install of fibre cabinets, (Herstmonceux exchange). Nearest street cabinet is 1 mile away from home. Then it goes to a mix of overhead copper and underground section.

Prior to this, ADSL2 was only 5Mb anyhow! 

"HELP" online live chat is anything but. I seem to be connected to someone now who is genuinely listening. But this is my 3rd try.

Why a street cabinet was not put nearer to the centre is beyond belief. If the ADSL was rubbish due to bad wiring, then it is wasted by putting in fibre. I genuinely thought that something was being done about that at the same time! Stupid me.

So, unless BT pull their finger out and get this sorted, I will have to cancel. There's just no point paying for something that is nowhere near the 23 they stated, and even if it was, 23 is poor compared to the possible 76!

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Appalled at BT lack of customer care. BT infinity = 12Mb (ADSL2 was 5). Neighbors have same issu

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a Home Hub 5, please display the connection speed by following the instructions on this page.

Check your connection speed for the Home Hub 5

Could you please post the results from the BT Speedtester, including the further diagnostics.

BT Wholesale Speedtester

What did BT estimate your speed when you placed your order?

Cancelling would cost you a lot of money unless you can prove that BT are not supplying within the promised range.

0 Ratings
not-a-happy-man
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Re: Appalled at BT lack of customer care. BT infinity = 12Mb (ADSL2 was 5). Neighbors have same issu

DSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:43:34
Downstream:12.84 Mbps
Upstream:1.216 Mbps

FTTC Range A (Clean)27.11853.2--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)20.69.84.61.3--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--2.5 to 6.5Available

This line has jumpers in place.

For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

BT results _ Connection speed 13.1, download 12.4, up 1.14 "Good news! Your download speed is close to your connection speed"....

Was told min 18 - 23 when ordered. So cancelling certainly won't be at my cost!

Live help are organising tests / engineer as I type. I will keep this post updated.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

can you post the stats 1-12 from troubleshooting/helpdesk

was this self install ?are you using the test socket with a filter?

there is no cooling off period after activation

what was minimum guaranteed speed BT quoted?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

To determine what is going one, we really need the full connection information from the home hub 5, which includes the maximum attainable rate, line loss, and noise margin.

Also you need to connect thing up as shown below, to eliminate any internal wiring issues.

Image1.jpg

You are a long distance from the cabinet, so you are not going to get very good speeds.

0 Ratings
not-a-happy-man
Beginner
Message 6 of 22

Test socket with filter was used for all the quoted results. Was sold 18 minimum which tbh is rubbish ! 

There is a 30 day period where if BT cannot provide the speed minimum then the contract is let.

0 Ratings
mistymoo22
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

customer care is a joke  mate still waiting for my order to be set up 2 months and counting,still the bull they keep feeding me is consistant 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

18mb is lowest speed on checker but BT's email they send normally quotes a lower guaranteed connection speed as dslchecker are just estimates

this gives an idea based on distance from cabinet. 

original.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
not-a-happy-man
Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Down Rate=13144000Kbps, Up Rate=1245000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.2dB, Up=6.3dB

been pretty static SNR on WAN

0 Ratings
not-a-happy-man
Beginner
Message 10 of 22

It's just a shame that three new cabs were put in and the nearest is 0.5 mile to the village, and then reverts to copper, which was known to be poor from the previous ADSL

0 Ratings