cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Appalling BB speeds

OK, so my "guaranteed" speed is a miserable 0.5mbs but surely I am being taken for a ride when I have to pay the full price and achieve a grand total of 21KBS?

OK so the kids are all on holiday, but surely BT has a duty to extend coverage - even out here in the country - to improve on 21KBS. I have tried to paste in  the latest speedtest result to show the speed but can't do it.

Who can I complain to and not get the standard "have you checked this, have you tried that?" The plain fact is BT are taking my money and not providing anything like the service one should expect. Maybe Trading Standards is the next stop?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Appalling BB speeds

welcome to the forum

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

the forum mods have a good reputation of helping should the members be unable to help your

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Hi just read your post BT or any other provider come to that do not offer guaranteed speed all services are provide as UP TO SERVICES

Also if you post the results asked for by imjolly someone here may then be able to offer you some assistance

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@davidrf wrote:

OK so the kids are all on holiday, but surely BT has a duty to extend coverage - even out here in the country - to improve on 21KBS. I have tried to paste in  the latest speedtest result to show the speed but can't do it.

As it stands, BT have no obligation to offer broadband to anybody if they don't want to, and neither do any of the other ISPs.  The government has talked about a guaranteed minimum 2M service, but that has never been enacted.

If your line turns out to be completely unsuitable for broadband, then BT might even cancal your contract entirely.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

BT got in touch (from India) today and agreed there was a fault on the line. My speed has been doubled to 0.48mbps already! What bugs me is that I have to pay the full rental price to get this speed. Should be a sliding scale according to the maximum recorded download speed. Watching things on Youtube with this speed is painful - an average of 15 seconds before buffering starts again.

Heard on the news yesterday that there is a new fund in England for rural communities with slow speeds - Wales has had one for some time, but we are 800 yards inside the English Border. Anyone know when the scheme is likely to take practical effect and if the criteria are to be the same as in Wales? I think the sum set aside in Wales (Pop. 4M) is £513M. In England it is about the same  sum amongst 10 times the population, so it will be spread pretty thin.

0 Ratings