cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teek2018
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Appalling customer service

I switched to BT a few months ago. I was previously with Sky.Reason for switching was ,my broadband always went off when it was windy. For this reason I asked BT to put me a new phone line in. They agreed and I paid. 

I thought I would be getting a complete new line from telegraph pole to house. Instead my line was cut half way down front wall of house and new line joined to that. New line went into my front room and a new socket was fitted. Apparently you can't have a new line if you already have a phone line.

The result of this is my broadband STILL goes off when the wind blows. BT keep insisting it's a problem with internal wiring  even though it's new and an engineer has been out to check it. Oh, and also the wind never blows inside my house funnily enough.Its usually windy outside!. Spoke to BT this evening and they suggested I might need a new hub. Ha ha ha ha! Words fail me they really do. 

I have another engineer coming tomorrow. Should be interesting.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Appalling customer service

Welcome to this user forum.

@Teek2018 I am assuming this is normal BT Broadband that you have, and not BT Infinity, so I have moved your post to the ADSL board.

0 Ratings
carregwen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

@Teek2018 wrote:

I switched to BT a few months ago. I was previously with Sky.Reason for switching was ,my broadband always went off when it was windy.

The problem here is proving if the situation is caused by a certain circumstance (wind) or whether some other factor may underlie the fault. It may be the case that something else other than the wind is causing the problem. Let me give you a real example. About 15 years ago I lived in a cottage in Cambridge and we developed an intermittent electric fault which caused the power to trip when it was windy. My electrician spent a whole day checking everything and in the process took several hundred pounds off me. He failed to find the fault and gave up. As he was leaving the house a gust of wind blew in and the power tripped. He closed the door, reset the trip and opened the door again and the power tripped again, but he noticed that a calendar on the wall had moved slightly in the breeze. "How long has that been there?" he said. "About a week" I replied. He pulled the nail holding the calendar and saw that I had hammered slightly through the live cable and when the wind blew it with the door open it caused the circuit to trip as the nail moved against the exposed wire.
In this case the cause appeared to be the wind, but really it was me being an idiot and not using a wire detector before banging nails into a wall. That doesn't really answer your question, but it's quite funny looking back on it. I always check now before hammering.
All customer service is pretty poor these days. I think it's a result of cut-backs following the financial crash and companies are just trying to keep costs down. However, it could be the wind causing the problem? Smiley Wink
Have you asked BT about the wind being a factor? What did they say?
0 Ratings
Teek2018
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for your reply.They keep saying it must be internal fault. I only have about 2ft of cable and a phone socket,both new. When I was with sky my socket was in another room. Engineer came today checked  to telegraph pole and said he couldn't find anything wrong. My internet was going off every few mins while he was here but he said phone line check was showing no faults. This is just bizarre. The engineer has also checked internal equipment twice now and said it's ok. 

I guess I can only hope Virgin cable becomes available down my avenue!

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 5 of 8

@Teek2018 I'm sorry to see the problem with your line is not sorted, please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Teek2018
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

BT **bleep** service

Joined BT last Oct/Nov and paid for a new phone line and master socket as well.Had problems from start. Broadband going off when windy. After 2 engineer visits not fixed. On second visit engineer refused to go up a ladder to refix cable on my wall which he noticed had come loose. I fixed it myself. Since then been a lot better. So the engineer actually did nothing! Now I have received a bill of 129.99 for home improvement service charge. What a joke . He did nothing and I have already paid for a new line. This company are a joke. 

I've complained and apparently I'm going to get a call back tomorrow. I really wish I had stayed with Sky. Would recommend that people steer clear of BT. Appalling service appalling company!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Re: BT **bleep** service

I suggest you take up NeilO's offer of help the mod team are very good and they will own your problem until fully resolved and provider a point of contact in the UK 
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 8 of 8

Re: BT **bleep** service

Hi @Teek2018 sorry about the engineer charge on your latest bill. If you take up @NeilO with his offer of help we will be happy to help you with this.

cheers

John

0 Ratings