cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nizzyyy
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Apparently, BT are capping me even though I'm not on their Network.

Hey there, Recently I have been getting really slow speeds during peak times, I know you'll say "Thats what is meant to happen" and I know it is but my internet is going so slow that I can't load YouTube videos and play on Xbox LIVE from around 5:20pm till about 11:30pm all week. Sometimes even loading web pages is painfully slow. Heres something though: We are currently with Sky for Broadband. We called them up and we checked everything, It isn't Sky that is capping us because we checked our current speeds and sure enough I was getting the speed advertised therefore they said it was BT capping us. I have been livid because gaming doesn't take up much bandwidth, we can't upgrade our internet because we are outside Sky's network coverage area. So they said they'd reset something to get rid of the cap but that didn't work. So, from what I have seen and been told BT is capping us even though we are not with them and they are giving us slower speeds than what they cap their customers are. Shocking. Any Help?

P.S we recently switched from BT because we kept being getting disconnected every 3 - 4 hours and we had no "cap" on Sky until about a month ago.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Apparently, BT are capping me even though I'm not on their Network.

I can't understand how BT can cap your broadband when you are a sky broadband subscriber. As you are not on Sky LLU service but the standard adslmax Sky operate a cap should you exceed their limit. Have you checked to see what your limit is?  Have you checked for a sky user forum similar to this as you might find people with similar problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nizzyyy
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

The reason that I was saying that it was BT is that Sky themselves told me BT was capping peoples speeds. My limit is 40GB which there is NO WAY I am hitting as I don't download much and I watch YouTube and do online Gaming which as I said doesn't take up much bandwidth. The possible reason Sky could have said that it was BT is because they control everything in my area. I will try other forums like this and report back 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

sky buy capacity from bt so bt will not be capping you its sky as usual using excuses for there poor service
0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

You are a Sky customer, they will control wether you are capped.

I take it you must read the Daily Mirror (really should be the The Sun but I'm anti Mirror) and believe everything they report on is true.

Just a hint you mention PEAK times, what happens at PEAK times?

I'll give you a clue think of the "ROADS".

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Oddiusus09, there is no need to contradict him/her on the likes of different classes of newspapers, these forums are for supporting and providing advice!

My advice would be for Nizzy to contact Sky and ask them to perform the same checks to what BT perform.  It is Sky's responsibilty to investigate why the speeds drop at certain times on a BT Line, considering Nizzy is paying Sky and not BT.

What other things can Nizzy look at at why the speeds are dropping?

First look at the connections within the home, Nizzy, how close is your wireless router to your mains phone socket?  have you performed speed tests at certain times and connected your modem to the test socket?

With your wireless modem, can you view the status information to see how much noise there is and what other stats can you provide.

Hopefully with such info i think we can help further

cheers

CG

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

ComuterGeek,

First of all Nizzyyy (oops sorry mistaken I do apologize):smileysurprised: this is a BT forum.

Secondly it occurs at PEAK times between 5:20-11:30PM which to me suggests only one thing line management, alluded to in there OP so already knows the answer but is not prepared to accept but prepared to believe SKY CS who are passing the buck.

Now for some advice Nizzy:

Contact SKY CS and tell them they are your BB provider not BT and it is there problem to resolve, use the appropriate CS forum at SKY, or perhaps Thinkbroadband's SKY forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@Nizzyyy wrote:
The reason that I was saying that it was BT is that Sky themselves told me BT was capping peoples speeds. My limit is 40GB which there is NO WAY I am hitting as I don't download much and I watch YouTube and do online Gaming which as I said doesn't take up much bandwidth. The possible reason Sky could have said that it was BT is because they control everything in my area. I will try other forums like this and report back 🙂

I'm afraid Sky are lying to you. BT do *not* cap other operator/ISP connections.

Sky are your provider, get onto their service desk and tell them to stop palming you off onto someone else. It is a Sky problem, not BT. If Sky don't have enough bandwidth to supply their customers, then that is a Sky problem, not BT. It doesn't matter if BT control everything or not, Sky are paying BT to use their equipment and bandwidth, if there is not enough - then it is Sky promising to deliver something they are unable.

0 Ratings