Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dazjones037
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Apple Throttled Downloads

Hi All,

Just a quick question about Traffic Throttling. I have the best Infinity FTTC connection possible and have been really pleased with everything about the service since install in December '11. Most days, file downloads nudge the 5 MB/s mark, never below 4 MB/s whatever time day or night.

Except Apple OS X Updates, or any software from the Apple Support Site.

iTunes purchase downloads by comparrison, are some of the fastest.

Any experts or mods out there who could throw some light on the subject?

Thanks Guys and Girls

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
mikey4020
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Apple Throttled Downloads

I tend to agree with you here that Software Updates tend to be slower, however I had always put it down to the amount of people downloading them when released. When 10.7.3 was released I downloaded the Combo directly from Apple rather than using Software Update and my connection was by no means maxed out (peaked at about 2MB/s). 

However I tried today to download the same file from http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosandsoftware and my connection is maxing out at about 4.3MB/s. 

Try downloading from there and see what kind of speeds you're getting. It wouldn't surprise me if the problem was the load on Apple's server.

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 3 of 4

If it is just Apple then I would suppose that the apple servers are running flat out and don't have enough capacity to serve everybody with flat out fibre speeds.

I know when the last big update was released there was so much traffic that the whole lot fell over.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dazjones037
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Ta guys for quick response.

Maybe you're right, I'll give things a retry at different times of the day/night.

Back when I was with Be, ALL downloads seemed to travel down at max chat - but Be were very good (if only they offered FTTx services........)

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Ratings