Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw67
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 27

Re: Apple devices and BT yahoo mail

Go to solution

It was a while ago but i am sure that when i set up my email on my ipad/iphone it was pop 3. When i selected new account the yahoo settings didnt work and i had to select OTHER and input the settings manually.

I used the settings from my mac bt mail account that i have used for years

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:
Port 110 is POP3, not SMTP.

I'm not sure what the problem is any more...

Yes, I'm still a little confused about the problem and why it now works for emailing to self.

Outllook 2007 and onwards are simple to set up with btinternet mail.

Apple devices are fairly easy to set up using a clear logical approach. Some users forget to set the "leave mail on server" option. 

The problem seems to be in the users "work" account setup.

Every so often Apple upgrade their device iOS, and this can cause problems with settings. The iPod has completely wiped out my 10 years of Outlook Calendar entries several times in the past - following an iOS update, and subsequent sync.

0 Ratings
MarkCheshire
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

Hi both,

I have now had some quiet time to think through the problem which appears now to be resolved, but the system is whinging about it!

First, iCloud is not an issue.   Today's tests were carried out on the iPad & iPhone with it switched off.

Second, my work address was an example not the sole problem others behaved the same but atleast with mine I could monitor the results.

Ok the situation is that the SMTP server settings provided by default ie port 25 do not work but the system happily accepts them and verifies the account.

The settings provided by Ribblelancs ie port 110 do appear to work in all forms (original composition, forwarding and replying to incoming posts) but curiously the system dislikes the setting (port 110) and has to be 'forced' into accepting it and the system does not verify the account.

I have now turned iCloud mail back on and set my BT account as the default and will continue to monitor the performance over the next few days.

I will post back to this thread all relevant outcomes and thanks to you both for your time.

This, I think is a work around rather that the preferred solution so would be happy to receive any further suggestions.

Mark

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

MarkCheshire wrote:

Ok the situation is that the SMTP server settings provided by default ie port 25 do not work but the system happily accepts them and verifies the account.

In that case, I suspect that the account is in fact working - ie the server settings and login details are correct (that's usually how the device verifies the account) and that something else is causing your outgoing email to fail...as was suggested in the errors you posted previously...

The settings provided by Ribblelancs ie port 110 do appear to work in all forms (original composition, forwarding and replying to incoming posts)

Port 110 is irrelevant to outgoing (and forwarding & replying to) email. It's a POP3 port, used for fetching/reading incoming email only. Outgoing SMTP is a different animal entirely.

but curiously the system dislikes the setting (port 110) and has to be 'forced' into accepting it and the system does not verify the account.

To be expected - you're telling it to use a POP3 port for its SMTP service... 

If you have mail.btinternet.com configured to use port 110 for SMTP, and you're managing to send email OK, then your outgoing email - whether you're aware of it or not - is using a different email system...and not mail.btinternet.com

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

@MarkCheshire wrote:

In that case, I suspect that the account is in fact working - ie the server settings and login details are correct (that's usually how the device verifies the account) and that something else is causing your outgoing email to fail...as was suggested in the errors you posted previously...

The settings provided by Ribblelancs ie port 110 do appear to work in all forms (original composition, forwarding and replying to incoming posts)

Port 110 is irrelevant to outgoing (and forwarding & replying to) email. It's a POP3 port, used for fetching/reading incoming email only. Outgoing SMTP is a different animal entirely.

but curiously the system dislikes the setting (port 110) and has to be 'forced' into accepting it and the system does not verify the account.

To be expected - you're telling it to use a POP3 port for its SMTP service... 

If you have mail.btinternet.com configured to use port 110 for SMTP, and you're managing to send email OK, then your outgoing email - whether you're aware of it or not - is using a different email system...and not mail.btinternet.com

We are getting into a muddle here.

Incoming port is 110 - Pop3

Outgoing port is 25 - SMPT

These are the standard settings for btinternet pop3 mail.

It was suggested by another poster that in "advanced" the port is 110 which is correct for the incoming port. Then set to keep mail on server and ssl to "off".

The "advanced" settings on the Apple setup screen do not refer to the outgoing port although at first glance it seems that they do. 

It's the setup screens in Apple which are confusing.

Outlook makes setup much easier and it's a pity that Apple can't follow the example.

0 Ratings
MarkCheshire
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

Hi

I agree. It is quite confusing but it did work initially!  I agree about port 110 and found it curious, SO I have reset every thing to the defaults and have slowly rebuilt it adding the other accounts (iCloud etc)  It all works at the moment on port 25 FOR THE FIRST TIME!!

My guess is either IoS 6  had an issue or a password setting as RibbleLancs initially suggested did not take. Strange on two seperate devices though.

So at the moment I have two devices working on the defaults with out obvious issue.  I will continue to check and report back any problems as they arise.

Many thanks to you both for your time and energy on this which was proving to me to be an intractable problem.

M

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 27 of 27

Go to solution

@MarkCheshire wrote:

Hi

I agree. It is quite confusing but it did work initially!  I agree about port 110 and found it curious, SO I have reset every thing to the defaults and have slowly rebuilt it adding the other accounts (iCloud etc)  It all works at the moment on port 25 FOR THE FIRST TIME!!

My guess is either IoS 6  had an issue or a password setting as RibbleLancs initially suggested did not take. Strange on two seperate devices though.

So at the moment I have two devices working on the defaults with out obvious issue.  I will continue to check and report back any problems as they arise.

Many thanks to you both for your time and energy on this which was proving to me to be an intractable problem.

M

Well!

Glad to see you are ok.

Apple works in mysterious ways. I might even look at the iPad mini. The iPod is too small, but it will last for a while yet.

0 Ratings