cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chap68
Message 31 of 38

Re: Apple time capsule and BT Hub 3

Hi

seeing as it seems you're quite knowledgeable on such things, I have a Time Capsule which I use as a storage drive for my iTunes library as my old Mac Book Pro has a small hard drive which I don't want to fill up. I've noticed when I'm downloading music from the iTunes store, it's still massively slow (not far off real time for the music). Now I have Infinity, it really should be much faster.

At the moment, the Time Capsule is running completely wirelessly. I'm told that I have to reset the Time Capsule to get it to connect to my HH3 via ethernet cable. Do I do the reset whilst the TC is connected to my Mac Book via ethernet cable, or while connected to my HH3 via ethernet cable. And do I do a soft or hard reset?

Many thanks in advance

Mark.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
re78019
Beginner
Message 32 of 38

@tommybobbins Thank you for helping me get set up, at least with everything except Vision!

I had infinity installed yesterday. Installation went well except that they were unaware of the possibility of not using the HH3 and had never installed BT vision before!

I have a 4th Generation Time Capsule and a couple of the current Airport Expresses running off it, one bridged, one extending.

When I tried to run the Gigabit output from the HH3 into the WAN on the TC, everything worked fine, except wifi. Next to no, and generally no, internet, but the wired connections worked a treat. The BT Vision box was plugged into the bridged AE and worked with no problems, my Mac (on ethernet) had a blistering connection. The WiFi network seemed still to work, but with no internet bandwith at all.

Removing the HH3, and setting up PPPoE as per the post from tommybobbins in post 12 of this thread, I have everything working perfectly, except the BT Vision box, which now won't stream channels and essentially tells me my broadband is off.

I have been trying to find ways of making the TC 'ape' the HH3 as I have seen described in various places, which if I understand correctly requires the TC to use a specific local IP address of 198.168.1.254 - but I can't seem to achieve this. 

I feel like I've been sold a pup. HH3 will not play ball with my existing, higher spec, network setup, which is hardly an obscure one, but removing it loses me a TV service I am paying for! I have seen lots of people saying they have got BT Vision boxes working using only a TC or Airport Extreme and discarding the HH3, but I can't work out what I've missed.

Finally, Airport utility tells me I have an IPv6 Relay Error, when I am connecting without the HH3. Is this something I should ignore whilst BT sort out their infrastructure? Have I got that right?

Many thanks to those who have contributed and those who might be able to help!

0 Ratings
lizzytee
Message 33 of 38

Tommybobbins and others

Thank you so much for this - have been struggling for several months with slow and unreliable wireless connections on BT Hub 3.  Both Macs now at blazing speed with Time Capsule.

Big sucks to BT help - neither of the operatives I spoke to seemed to have the faintest understanding why I wanted to try a different configuration.

Now if I could just get my BeoLit 12 to connect wirelessly.....

0 Ratings
SnowBaked
Message 34 of 38

I have my BT Infinity box connected to my Time Capsule and I am suffering from a huge number of connection drops. This happens a number of times per day. Is this normal? I think it relates to when the actual time capsule back up is happening, but it is very very annoying.
Any remedies for this?
0 Ratings
kingfisher126
Beginner
Message 35 of 38

Tommybobbins - do the very helpful guidelines you have given to connect the BT modem directly to the TC apply to any particular BT modem [white box] and any particular TC? [I am just buying the new tall 2gb TC and have an old white box currently connected to a HH2 and then to my old 500mb TC. I want to ditch the HH2 with my new TC if possible???

Thanks in advance of any help you can give

K
0 Ratings
Message 36 of 38

what about BT hub 5, can I get them both to work simultantaneously? Is it best to use hub 5 as oppose to timecapsule?

Can I get my hub to connect to time capsule?

Thanks,

Robert?

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 38

what about BT hub 5, can I get them both to work simultantaneously? Is it best to use hub 5 as oppose to timecapsule?

Can I get my hub to connect to time capsule?

Thanks,

Robert?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 38 of 38

I get this problem as well. The connection will drop out for a few seconds and then reconnect, but it's enough to throw my wife off her VPN connection when working from home (and its divorce if I don't get this fixed)

Broadband works fine if using just the BT home hub , but if I then just use my time capsule I get random disconnections.
0 Ratings