cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogerPoulter
Beginner
Message 1 of 38

Apple time capsule and BT Hub 3

I have just swapped over to BT and have recieved the Hub 3. 

My original setup was using an apple time capsule providing my WIFI network, and then using the previous ISP router just acting as a modem. I would like to do the same with the BT home hub 3 as I have a reasonable complicated WIFI network for which the time capsule is already set up and working fine and I do not want to change this.

All I am wanting to do is plug the time capsule into the HUB 3 using an ethernet cable, but I cannot seem to get it to work. The previous router had a WAN port, but the HUB 3 does not seem to have one. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38

Re: Apple time capsule and BT Hub 3

Hello RogerPoulter and welcome to the forums,

You are doing everything right, but Infinity is a bit different. The White Openreach box acts as the modem and the Homehub is simply a Cable router/Wireless bridge. You really don't need the Homehub if you have a Timecapsule (or Airport Extreme).

Providing you are on Infinity, Try plugging the WAN port of the Timecapsule into the Openreach (white modem). It will be connected to your Homehub with a red cable. Plug this red cable into the WAN port of the Timecapsule. 

Then use the Airport Utility, you need to setup the Timecapsule to use PPPoE according to instructions here:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity/m-p/69103#M4643

Airport Utility and:-

Selected Manual Setup. 

Then selected Internet.

Then selected from the drop down menu "Connect using PPPoE"

Set username to be bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Set the password to BT

Left "Connection" to Always On,

Left "Disconnect if idle" to never <- Actually for me this item is greyed out and can't be changed

Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on,

0 Ratings
dalinian
Beginner
Message 3 of 38

Hey Tommy,

I anticipate being in a similar situation to Roger, in that I’ve three WiFi computers [1] that I need to migrate...
• from – Virgin Media FTTP modem » ethernet cable » Apple Time Capsule
• to – BT Infinity FTTC Openreach modem » ethernet cable » Apple Time Capsule
...during or after the BT engineer’s BT Infinity installation visit next Thursday.

Thanks for your tips on integrating an existing Apple Time Capsule into a BT Infinity set-up. As I understand you, you’re suggesting swapping from the regular BT Infinity set-up...

Regular BT Infinity set-up.jpg
The regular BT Infinity set-up (source image page)

...for an Apple Time Capsule based BT Infinity set-up, like this:

Apple Time Capsule based BT Infinity set-up 1.jpg
An Apple Time Capsule based BT Infinity set-up (source – tommybobbins suggestion in the post above this one)

But AFAIK, it’s the BT Home Hub 3 that provides support for the mutual aid BT FON network; am I correct in thinking this Apple Time Capsule based BT Infinity set-up would deprive other BT customers of a BT FON WiFi hotspot?

AN ALTERNATIVE SET-UP SUGGESTION

I notice that the Openreach modem actually has what looks like two identical LAN ethernet ports side by side:

dual ethernet LAN ports.jpg

BT Openreach modem, illustrating dual ethernet LAN ports (source image)

So is it feasible to set up both the BT Home Hub 3 AND an Apple Time Capsule with just the addition of a second ethernet cable?

For instance:

Dual Time-Capsule+BT-Hub-3 set-up.jpg
A dual Apple Tim Capsule + BT Home Hub 3 Infinity set-up

Would this set-up work?

If so, would it provide a seamless migration for my three WiFi computers (once the Time Capsule’s been reconfigured with Airport Utility to use PPPoE, as per your instructions), AND a mutual aid BT FON network WiFi hotspot?

[1] Three WiFi computers:
• Apple MacBook Pro 17-inch notebook, running OS X 10.5.8
» http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.5-17-early-2008-pen...
• Notion Ink ADAM 10.1 inch tablet, running Linux (Android 2.2)
» http://www.notionink.com/techspecs.php
• Nokia N900 3.5 inch tablet, running Linux (Maemo 5 v21.2)
» http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/N900/

Tags (1)
tubaloopy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 38

On my OpenReach (OR) modem the second LAN port is covered and not usable. I don't think OR have set them up to allow two routers to be connected. I don't use my BT Home Hub (the adaptor failed) so I use a D-Link router instead (from memory I think the model number is DIR-655).

Very nice graphics you have made to demonstrate setup.

Darran

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 38

Hello,

tubaloopy is right - the second LAN port on the Openreach modem is not useable (there are caveats, but we can't get into that here ;-).

If you wish to use the Timecapsule and the HH3 together, there is no problem. Just plug the WAN port of the Timecapsule into a LAN port of the HH3 and don't configure it to act as a Router. See P37 of this excellent guide (from Apple).

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

[Taken from: http://www.apple.com/support/airport/ ]

In fact, that document is great and will answer all the questions you ever wanted to know. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

0 Ratings
RoystonVasey
Regular
Message 6 of 38

Hi everyone, new to this forum, just had infinity installed this Tuesday. Sorry if I'm being naive or ignorant but would appreciate advice.

The faceplate that was installed is called a Master Socket (MS)I believe, I thought that the engineer would be fitting this to replace the old connector fitted in my electricity/gas cupboard where the line comes into the house and connects to the cable which terminates at a faceplate in my lounge. But instead he replaced the old single outlet plate in my lounge with the MS and connected all the Infinity kit to it. The kit seems to work fine, but really I wanted all the equipment up in my bedroom to replace my old ADSL kit which has Apple Time Capsule, Vodafone Sure Signal and ethernet cable connection to my X-Box. The cable that runs upto my bedroom extends from the Master Socket that he has just fitted.

Question: Can the MS be fitted to replace any socket or has it got to be fitted at the end of the first cable run. Can i Move the MS upstairs?

Many thanks for any advice.

RV

0 Ratings
dalinian
Beginner
Message 7 of 38

Thanks for your replies, tubaloopy and tommybobbins.

On 04-11-2011 12h57 tommybobbins wrote:
If you wish to use the Timecapsule and the HH3 together, there is no problem. Just plug the WAN port of the Timecapsule into a LAN port of the HH3 and don't configure it to act as a Router. See P37 of this excellent guide (from Apple).

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

[Taken from: http://www.apple.com/support/airport/ ]

Here’s the page in question, p37 of ‘Apple AirPort Networks’:

Apple Time Capsule as WiFi Bridge - p37.jpg

So the meaning I’m taking from tommybobbins suggestion leads to this physical network topography:

Apple Time Capsule based BT Infinity set-up 2.jpg

I’m expecting the BT Infinity installation engineer visit this afternoon, so all this will transfer from the realm of theory to the domain of practice pretty soon – and now I have a suggested physical network topography diagram to discuss with her/him.

More news as it arises.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 38

Another lovely diagram dalinian.

It will all work, don't worry. The Timecapsule is incredibly flexible, so long as you have the right documentation to hand or are willing to experiment.

Good luck,

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 38

@RoystonVasey wrote:

Hi everyone, new to this forum, just had infinity installed this Tuesday. Sorry if I'm being naive or ignorant but would appreciate advice.........

Many thanks for any advice.

RV

Hi RV

I think it may be worth your while starting your own thread.

Go to the http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bd-p/BTInfinity

Press the NEW MESSAGE button at the top left.

Enter a title say "Can Master Socket be moved?"

And then copy and paste your question there.

We're not ignoring you here... just that we are so engrossed in dalinian's pictures.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
RoystonVasey
Regular
Message 10 of 38

Thanks for the suggestion PC, have started a new thread. I only decided to add to this thread as the configuration is very similar to what I have and is how I want to configure it once I have moved the MS.

SetUp.jpg

Thanks RV.

0 Ratings