cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwelch
Message 11 of 38

Re: Apple time capsule and BT Hub 3

Hi all

thanks for all these helpful posts. I have followed the settings as suggested. Openreach modem connected directly with cat5e to the WAN of the time capsule. TC boots up and confirms all the settings have been changed and gives me a green light.

Tried connecting old PBG4(10.4) / Macbook(10.6)  (my MBpro is having a heart transplant !) with ethernet cable and with airport (even tried iphone on airport). In network prefs I get a connection that says it is connected to the internet but when I open safari nothing loads! I'm confused!

Could you go through the other settings tabs (PPoE / DHCP and NAT and tell me how those are set? Also since I'm not getting through to the computers, what settings have you got in the network pane on system prefs? I'm sure its going to be something small and silly but your help might just show up what it is.

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 38

Hello rwelch,

For simply connecting the TC to the Openreach modem, you can use the below settings (you shouldn't need the advanced settings, unless you are trying to get it to work with the HH3 as well):

Plug the VDSL modem into the Time Capsule WAN port.

Go into time Capsule Manual setup in Applications->Utility->Airport Utility

On the 'Internet' settings tab:

1 : 'Connect Using' select PPPoE
2 : 'Account Name' enter 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com'
3 : 'Password' and 'verify password' enter a single space (as in press the space bar once).

You should not need to modify any other settings as the Airport Utility resets back to it's defaults when run.

rwelch
Message 13 of 38

thanks but as I said I've done all that and get a green light on the TC. I'm guessing it is either in one of the other tabs or a setting on the connecting devices that is causing the blockage. Thats why I'm asking what you have set in the other tabs

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 38

Hello,

I'm no longer running with a Timecapsule plugged into an Openreach modem. I replaced the whole lot with a Draytek 2750N (and my Timecapsule into that), so I can't really tell you what is in the tabs. I do know that I didn't need to use them when I set it up.

Sorry, but someone else might be able to help.

0 Ratings
Dawrhants
Beginner
Message 15 of 38

Hi, I went to Infinity last Monday and have exactly the same set up and it works......nearly. Just to be clear BT HH3 as the first device connected to the white modem box, Ethernet cable out of the yellow HH3 port to an Apple Time Capsule on the other side of the house.
I left the HH3 with the SSID that it came with and my Apple TC has a different SSID, so I can tell which one I connect to. I even have a plug in Air Port Express hanging off the Apple TC with another SSID, so three wireless networks in the same house. The Aplple TC needed no BT log on details and is setup in bridge mode with the BT HH3 being the only device on the network set to DHCP.

The only issue I have and I have been trawling the forums for a week now is the following.
- wireless devices can join the HH3. They can be seen in the access list as wireless.
- but and a big but, if I go to the other side of the house my device will connect to the Apple TC......great, but when I got back, HH3 will not allow it to join even if I try to force it.
- my theory is that as that IP/MAC address is coming in via Ethernet port (as it is still wirelessly attached to the Apple TC on CAT5) the HH3 will not allow wireless connection.
- If I turn wireless off on the iPhone/iPad etc, go into the HH3 setup page and hit refresh the device drops off the connected wired devices.
- Turn on the wireless on the device and force a connection to HH3, it then works fine..

I used to have a Zyzel wireless router prior to the HH3 last week and it worked as it should. HH3 is giving me the problems.

Any ideas? I have phoned the BT help desk twice and I know they are struggling to get their heads around this.

DW
-
0 Ratings
RoystonVasey
Regular
Message 16 of 38

@RoystonVasey wrote:

Hi everyone, new to this forum, just had infinity installed this Tuesday. Sorry if I'm being naive or ignorant but would appreciate advice.

The faceplate that was installed is called a Master Socket (MS)I believe, I thought that the engineer would be fitting this to replace the old connector fitted in my electricity/gas cupboard where the line comes into the house and connects to the cable which terminates at a faceplate in my lounge. But instead he replaced the old single outlet plate in my lounge with the MS and connected all the Infinity kit to it. The kit seems to work fine, but really I wanted all the equipment up in my bedroom to replace my old ADSL kit which has Apple Time Capsule, Vodafone Sure Signal and ethernet cable connection to my X-Box. The cable that runs upto my bedroom extends from the Master Socket that he has just fitted.

Question: Can the MS be fitted to replace any socket or has it got to be fitted at the end of the first cable run. Can i Move the MS upstairs?

Many thanks for any advice.

RV

Ended up running a RJ11 10m shielded cable up from the MS in lounge to bedroom through loft.... all very neat. I needed a RJ11 coupler with an extra 3m of RJ11 to reach the relocated Modem connected all equipment as shown in diagram fitted and working fine.

large.jpg

It was so easy I should have thought of it earlier, doh!

RV

0 Ratings
surfymark
Beginner
Message 17 of 38

So I am too struggling with this setup. I just got Infinity installed today so I have the OR Modem and HH3.

The engineer connected his Windows Laptop to my new HH3 and could get to the internet immediately.

If I connect my iPhone or Macbook Pro to the HH3, I can connect but not get internet.

If I plug my Time Capsule to the HH3, I can no longer connect to the HH3 by wireless. I can connect to the Apple Wireless network but again get no internet.

Why would connecting an ethernet cable to the HH3 mean that I can no longer connect to it wirelessly? (It just says connection timeout on both the iPhone and the MBP)?

To be honest I don't really have any need for the HH3. I would rather just connect my Time Capsule straight to the OR Modem. However I do need to enter some Port Forwarding rules etc. Can I just do that on the TC? Or would I need to do that on the OR Modem? Or should I just use the HH3 and plug the TC into that as suggested previously?

Why would the Windows Laptop be able to get to the internet when connected wirelessly yet I can't with my iPhone or MBP?

Many thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 38

Hello,

Port forwarding is easy to setup on the Timecapsule:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

Pages 49 - 51.

I've got a feeling that the HH3 doesn't play nicely with a Timecapsule hanging off one of the ports. Could be an Autonegotiation issue or could be the old DHCP issue under the HH3 firmware.

If it were me, I'd power it down and just use the Timecapsule in it's place. Think about the money you will save the money in electricity.

0 Ratings
surfymark
Beginner
Message 19 of 38

Excellent, thanks for this TB!

M
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 38

Thanks, this thread enabled me to set up my Time Capsule straight from the "modem" and keep my existing wireless networks

0 Ratings