cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lazarus
Contributor
Message 21 of 38

Re: Apple time capsule and BT Hub 3

Had infinity installed today and just wanted to post my thanks to tommybobbins for the ppoe settings - worked flawlessly.

Thank you.
0 Ratings
7sharp9
Beginner
Message 22 of 38

Hi Tommy,

I am getting Infinity tomorrow and wish to use the HH3 and TS.

I plan to follow your advice, but please can you confirm one point - I have followed your link to the manual, but on pages 37 onwards, do I need to use "If you are using airport utility to set up an apple wireless device on an existing ethernet network"  or "If you're using airport to manually set up your wireless device"

Sorry to be dim.

Cheers,

G

0 Ratings
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 23 of 38

Been reading this thread with interest as I believe it may sort out an issue I have with my HH3 and Apple TV. one (possibly dum) question though - will this setup (Openreach modem > Time Capsule & Apple TV) work just as well with an Airport Extreme instead of the Time Capsule? Does it still allow me to use BT Vision?
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 38

Hello 7sharp9,

In your case (using the HH3 and plugging the TC into it), you need to use "You’re Using an Existing Ethernet Network". Good luck,

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 38

Hello BC1973,

Yes TC and Airport Extreme are interchangeable in this case.

BT Vision isn't specifically tied to the HH3 (although it is highly recommended as it prioritises the BT Vision network traffic, BT can support you, etc). Here be dragons.

Make sure you hang onto your HH3 in case you ever have problems and you need to contact BT for support. You'll need to plug it back in during troubleshooting.

Hope this helps,

0 Ratings
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 26 of 38

Thanks all. I'll let you know how I get on.

0 Ratings
seosamh1973
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 38

Hi - I have exactly this setup working (BTOpenreach Modem =>Airport Extreme (with HD connected for Timemachine), however, I have a question...

My Airport Extreme is the first version of it, so it doesn't have the 2 network modes (guest, etc), and the wifi speed I get is around 35mbps, rather than when I connect via ethernet in to the airport extreme where I get 79mbps.

If I bought a new airport express and connected the Airport Extreme (for timecapsule use only) in to that would I get faster wifi?  

I just don't know whether its worth the upgrade or not.  My internet speed is clearly there, but not through wifi so much which I think is directly to do with the age and technology of the Airport Extreme 1 basestation.

Cheers

Joe

0 Ratings
HenGus
Contributor
Message 28 of 38

IMHO, get rid of the lot and buy a Fritz!Box 7390. Set up is a breeze for FTTC and you get:

• Fast Internet thanks to integrated VDSL/ADSL2+ modem
  • Wireless network via WLAN N with up to 300 Mbit/s
  • Router operation at cable modem or with UMTS stick
  • DECT base station for connecting up to 6 cordless telephones
  • Enlarges the range of cordless phones (DECT repeater)
  • Connection of analog terminal devices, ISDN telephones, and telephone systems
  • Telephone calls via the Internet (VoIP), even if the PC is switched off
  • Up to 5 answering machines and fax function integrated, voice-to-mail and fax-to-mail
  • WLAN guest access – secure surfing for friends and visitors
  • USB port for USB devices such as printers and storage media for shared use in the network
  • Integrates iPhones and Android smartphones into the home network over WLAN
  • Media server for music, images, and videos in the network
  • Integrated network storage with NAS functionality

The box works well with Macs and I also have a WLAN Repeater 300E connected to a Sky Box for Anytime Plus. And,of course, if your ISP provides it, seamless IPv6. Stats are also easily accessed and you can get a daily push e-mail with the same information. I looked carefully at a Time Capsule but I decided that my F!B offered just as good wifi and I could get more backup TBs for considerably less money. That said, I am a big Apple fan.

0 Ratings
7sharp9
Beginner
Message 29 of 38

Hi Tommy,

Many thanks for your reply.  I thought I had posted a "Thank You" at the time but obviously not.

Your advice worked perfectly and set up was simple.  I subsequently ditched the HH3 (have kept it in case I need BT support in the future) and use the TC as modem - Important to make sure you switch the firewall on when you make this change as the default setting appears to be "off".

Thanks again for your help.

🙂

0 Ratings
andyb1979
Message 30 of 38

@TommyBobbins

Thanks for the great guide! I was getting 5Mbps with the BT HomeHub router, now 78Mbps with Apple Time capsule. Wow!

0 Ratings