cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Are ADSL line drops normal with BT ADSL?

I'm asking this on behalf of a client. They run a small cafe with a BT ADSL connection and they were using a BT Home Hub 3. They often had to reboot the hub several times a day so I suggested purchasing a TP-Link ADSL Wi-Fi router. I installed it last week as part of a refurbishment and gave myself remote access. So I've been monitoring the system log. Today the ADSL link dropped eight times for very short periods of time in that the TP-Link re-established the link after about a minute. The chart below shows when it went down and how long it was down for.

Detailed analysis of the log suggests that when the router spots the ADSL link has dropped, that it starts the renegotiation steps almost immediately and the bulk of the time between the failure and beng back up is the normal "ADSL synchronisation and IP address assignment" process.

This infers to me that the link isn't going down but that the router just keeps loosing the connection.

Is this normal behaviour with a BT ADSL link, i.e. are ADSL reconnects common? Or does it suggest some kind of line fault?

A thought was whether the telephone was used at around the same time?

Thanks, Rob.

Wed.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Are ADSL line drops normal with BT ADSL?

Discons usually do not occur often on ADSL.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe from memory that the faceplate looks like this - it certainly says "OpenReach" on it. I'll call in tomorrow to have a closer look.

2012openreachbrandednte5.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

You should only be removing the bottom half.

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Welcome to the BT Residential forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Don't know whether my client is on a business or residential contract but for the purposes of this hypotethical discussion it doesn't really matter as they are identical technologies. If we do need further assistance, I'll post over there.