cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techno_dude
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Are BT rolling out any changes to VDSL?

I have a Draytek 2850n router that I've been using for 3 years.  For the last 12 months I've had it connected to a BT Infinity subscription without any issues at all.

Last week it disconnected from the service and now it won't go past the 'Handshake' stage of the connection.

I connected a BT HH5 to the line and all works fine and I've tested the Draytek by connecting it to a friends Zen Internet service (provided via a different exchange) so I know there's no problem with the router either.

I do however know the Draytek is a bit old and so I'm wondering if, although it's compatible with VDSL1 whether it doesn't like VDSL2?  The possibility then is that BT have turned off VDSL1 in my area??

Anyone got any ideas?

Thx in advance

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Are BT rolling out any changes to VDSL?

Did you try a factory reset of the Draytek to see if that helped.

0 Ratings
techno_dude
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Yes.  There aren't many settings to put back..  VDSL vlan 101, login credentials and set PPPOE.

Unfortunately it made no difference.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 18

Seeing as the DrayTek works ok else where have you tried the latest firmware numbered 3.6.8.6

Might help, no reason for BT blocking DrayTek seeing as they are one of the very few BT certified manufacturers.

0 Ratings
techno_dude
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Yep.  Got that one installed as well.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yeah, I agree however, the 2850n is a few years old now.  I'm sure the 2860n would work fine but then it was designed to support VDSL2 and is still a current product.  

I'm guessing there won't be any more firmware releases for the 2850 so if BT did drop legacy support on VDSL it'd end up being a useless bit of kit.  😞

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Seems odd.  Taken from DrayTek 2850 page, " The Vigor 2850 series supports the very latest services for speeds up to 80Mb/s (depending on line quality and length)."

Going by that it should be ok.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 7 of 18

This is pretty much the same question as @techno_dude's, but from a different angle.

Is there a BT technical document or web page or other official source which describes the BT Infinity network product provided at the point of presentation, citing the relevant standards?  It's very common for enthusiasts to name them in forums and other channels, but that's not what I'm asking.  Where does ***BT*** declare what they provide?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 9 of 18

Excellent, thanks @licquorice! /me scans for mention of legacy VDSL support or backwards compatibility of VDSL2 with it.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

The information here,  http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/MCT.htm   may, or may not be applicable with this issue.  I'm sceptical about it though, as the router connected via a ZEN account, which, unless I'm mistaken still uses Openreach FTTC.

On looking through the DrayTek 2850n firmware release notes there is no mention of introducing SIN498 compliance.  So, one wonders.

0 Ratings