cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael21
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Are BT sports 1 & 2 closing on DTT LCN 58,59 on June 30 2014?

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/04/bt-vision-to-close-this-summer.html

It appears to be a further signal indicating the end of BT Sport on the digital terrestrial TV platform, where BT broadcasts BT Sport 1 and 2 solely for the benefit of BT Vision - and not YouView- users. 

Can Bt confirm that you are leaving DTT on this date and that LCN 58,59 Will close.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
StewM
Guru
Message 2 of 16

Re: Are BT sports 1 & 2 closing on DTT LCN 58,59 on June 30 2014?

The withdrawal of the silver Vision Box has been very badly reported. While BT have stopped taking new customers for BT Sports over DTT/ channel 58 & 59, there has been no announcement about ending the service
0 Ratings
michael21
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

But do youview carry DTT sevcices on LCN 58,59?

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 4 of 16

No.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 16

BT sports are carried over ip on youview... Infinity at the moment but who knows about the future...

michael21
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I guess we will all find out on 30/6/14..

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 16

@michael21 wrote:

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/04/bt-vision-to-close-this-summer.html

It appears to be a further signal indicating the end of BT Sport on the digital terrestrial TV platform, where BT broadcasts BT Sport 1 and 2 solely for the benefit of BT Vision - and not YouView- users. 

Can Bt confirm that you are leaving DTT on this date and that LCN 58,59 Will close.

Wow, that article seems to be absolutely brimming over with incorrect information.

BT are just closing the original Windows based Classic platform. They are not closing the Linux based New Look platform.

"The removal of the original BT Vision (silver box) platform now leaves only a small minority of viewers relying on the terrestrial service, now that Vision+ (black box) requires viewers in Infinity coverage areas to switch to broadband delivery of BT Sport."

As far as I understand things all customers who wanted to receive BT Sport 1 & 2 over DTT had to move to the New Look platform on a black BT Vision+ box. So closing the Classic platform and silver boxes will make absolutely no difference to the numbers. Also the Vision+ black box doesn't require viewers with Infinity coverage to switch to broadband BT Sport unless they are starting a new subscription.

"The original BT Vision (silver box) platform enabled viewers to access Sky Sports 1 and 2, ..."

I might be wrong on this but thought that Sky Sports 1 & 2 were only ever available using a black BT Vision+ box? I thought just ESPN was on the original silver boxes. I thought Sky insisted on tighter scrambling technology that the black boxes implemented?

Cons

"Loss of Sky Sports option*"

I don't think anybody on the Classic platform is receiving Sky Sports as BT have never implemented multicast channels on that platform.

"Loss of BT Sport 1 and 2 if not in an Infinity area."

Those on the Classic platform are not receiving BT Sport 1 & 2 by either DTT or multicast. 

"Loss of BBC News HD and BBC Four HD if you’re not in an area served by the extended Freeview HD service (BT streams these channels to Vision boxes, as both types of Vision box can’t handle Freeview HD broadcasts."

Those on the Classic platform are not receiving any extra PSB HD multicast channels.

Corrections to my corrections welcome if I'm talking rubbish. Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 16

Of course BT may well make another announcement at any time saying they are closing the DTT channels 58 & 59 on a certain date, but I have seen nothing saying that so far.

"But do youview carry DTT sevcices on LCN 58,59?"

The BT Youview+ boxes aren't designed to unscramble them as they have no viewing card slot. For that reason the boxes hide them from the EPG.

0 Ratings
michael21
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

@umpire wrote:

Of course BT may well make another announcement at any time saying they are closing the DTT channels 58 & 59 on a certain date, but I have seen nothing saying that so far.

"But do youview carry DTT sevcices on LCN 58,59?"

The BT Youview+ boxes aren't designed to unscramble them as they have no viewing card slot. For that reason the boxes hide them from the EPG.

This is the main point how will poplpe that are going to get the new free boxes recive thr BT sports channels?If the answer is IPTV then where does that leave the DTT channel as there cost monet to run useing the DTT spaces.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 16

There are three BT TV platforms which currently support the following services.

(1)  Classic Platform

• DTT Freeview
  • IPTV unicast (on-demand & catch-up)

(2)  New Look Platform

• DTT Freeview
  • DTT Encrypted (just BT Sport on 58 & 59)
  • IPTV Unicast (on-demand & catch-up)
  • IPTV Multicast (extra channels including all sports channels)

(3)  Youview Platform

• DTT Freeview
  • IPTV Unicast (on-demand & catch-up)
  • IPTV Multicast (extra channels including all sports channels [except Sky Sports])

So moving customers from (1) to (3) over the next couple of months isn't going to change the number of DTT Encrypted channel users in any way. Customers on the Classic platform who are already on or take Infinity will immediately have additional access to the BT Sport channels via multicast. Nobody will lose BT Sport as they currently can't receive it. Some will gain it.

In addition BT have made comments that they are looking at ways for customers on ADSL to receive the BT Sport channels in future. It is envisaged this would be either ADSL multicast or ADSL unicast. To my knowledge there have been no official announcements on this so far.

See http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-announces-end-of-bt-sport-via-aerial-for-new-customers/137961/

Yes, we all expect BT to turn off 58 and 59 at some time. They stated a few years ago in company reports that they didn't see that as a long term solution. They have already stopped new subscriptions. But this turning off of the Classic platform on June 30th doesn't really change anything on that front. 

0 Ratings