cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Are BT throttling me

So I've used BT infinity for about a year now and have never had any issues my speed has been between 28mbps during peak and 38mbps but recently while I was downloading some software from my uploaded.net account I noticed that half way through my download the speed drop from 4.15mbs to 250kbs, I then have to restart my download manager to get the higher speeds, and if it's a big file I have to do this several times.

Is this BT throttling me and if so why? Or could it be a recent windows update screwing with me.

I've tried downloading the same file on my phone and although the speed fluctuates (as it does on a mobile) I kinda don't get the same symptoms.

Any help would be great.

Azel.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Are BT throttling me

Run THIS test to see if there is any throttling.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi there,

unfortunatly the test wouldnt work 😞 so i downloaded shaperprobe which tested for shapers and it came back clear ,so im guessing thats good (in regards to the throttling) cant quite figure out whta else it could be 😞 i use jdownloader for my download manager could it be that?.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Is it possible you are confusing your Megabits (Mb) with Magabytes (MB)

Megabyte (used for file size) and a Megabit (used for download speeds). People often assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second (1 Mbps) will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, a Megabit is 1/8 as big as a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8Mbps.

Most downloads are shown as Megabytes MB So if you are showing the figure of 4.15MB if you multiply it by 8 it will give your speed as 33.2Mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Hi thanks for the reply, im pretty sure I'm not getting them confused I download a file from uploaded.to using my download manager, it starts downloading at 4.15 Mrs the halfway through the speed drops to any where from 100kbs to 350kbs, I called BT tech support they asked me to try downloading a legal torrent file which I did and I got a stable speed of 3mbs, I also downloaded a wedding video from my Dropbox account which also downloaded at a pretty high speed.

I'm wondering if it's uploaded.to could it be there servers as my other downloads especially that torrent downloaded at full speed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

@Azeluk wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply, im pretty sure I'm not getting them confused I download a file from uploaded.to using my download manager, it starts downloading at 4.15 Mrs the halfway through the speed drops to any where from 100kbs to 350kbs, I called BT tech support they asked me to try downloading a legal torrent file which I did and I got a stable speed of 3mbs, I also downloaded a wedding video from my Dropbox account which also downloaded at a pretty high speed.

I'm wondering if it's uploaded.to could it be there servers as my other downloads especially that torrent downloaded at full speed.
I have the same problem with uploaded.to but with using Internet download manager. You can start downloading at full speed but about half way or towards end the speed can drop to around 100 - 300Kbps.
This does not happen all the time though. just the odd few times so probably is there servers.
0 Ratings