cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim1964
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Are BT throttling torrents completely all the time now?

I have Infinity 36Mbps/8mbps and I was getting torrents coming in at around 3-4mbps (after midnight) but sometimes even 1-2meg in the evenings. I am now getting at most 25Kbps all the time. If I use uTorrent's setup guide to set the speeds it doesn't even connect to the UK server !! I can only get it to show the 2 green ticks on the setup page if I use one of the Amsterdam ones (as I guess the're the closest).

The setup page just says "Speed test failed" "Read failure" if I use the UK server.

Is this BT reacting to the Newzbin issue and completely throttling all P2P now?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
BuckleZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Are BT throttling torrents completely all the time now?

I get no slowdowns using uTorrents encyption

0 Ratings
BuckleZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

http://i39.tinypic.com/153r4zt.png

Never noticed any slow down with Encryption set to Forced. When i turn it off, it goes very slow

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

I do not think that BT are throttling P2P at all times,just at times as stated in the TC`s.
But think about it,as more people these days use torrents the demand on the servers will just get heavier and then even torrent servers have to give less bandwidth to each client.
There are trillions of users out there using the net and P2P,it will get a lot worse yet imo.

0 Ratings
tim1964
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

I have encyption set to "Forced" but even now (quarter past midnight) I'm getting 171K.

I'll try something that has a lot of seeds to see if that shows an improvement.

0 Ratings
tim1964
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Well, 15 mins into an Ubuntu iso download with 99 seeds it's very odd. It was coming in at 170K but having just this second checked it's now around 1Mbps ???

Maybe BT have forgottent to put the clocks back or is it that they monitor the forums and when someone notices they put the speeds up 😄

0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 7 of 13

No that's how it works the limit is lifted at half 12 not 12, no idea why its the same for me at around 12 is goes to about 200 kbps then at 12:30 it is completely lifted, unless they are having problems. Upload is limited pretty much 24/7 but sometimes gets lifted

at other times it is completely random sometimes in the day you can get 1mb/s but you never know, newsgroups are not limited, I downloaded the latest walking dead at 4mb/s no problem at 11

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

@tim1964 wrote:

Well, 15 mins into an Ubuntu iso download with 99 seeds it's very odd. It was coming in at 170K but having just this second checked it's now around 1Mbps ???

Maybe BT have forgottent to put the clocks back or is it that they monitor the forums and when someone notices they put the speeds up 😄

Why not get a direct download for Ubuntu and get full speed, much better than a torrent download at c**p speed.

Encrypted or forced does not make any difference with avoiding the throttling on p2p.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
ilikepooters
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

things like "Ubuntu iso" and "linux distro" are coded slang for things like "i'm pirating movies/music/games i shouldn't be"

So direct downloads won't help Smiley Happy

oh i'm getting about 1Mb/s on utorrent right this minute, they forget to switch the throttling on tonight?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

@ilikepooters wrote:

things like "Ubuntu iso" and "linux distro" are coded slang for things like "i'm pirating movies/music/games i shouldn't be"

So direct downloads won't help Smiley Happy

oh i'm getting about 1Mb/s on utorrent right this minute, they forget to switch the throttling on tonight?

Well if thats what you are downloading , hope it stays slow for you 24/7Smiley Very Happy

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings