Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeyblgs
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 16

Are cheap ethernet cables ok?

Go to solution

Hi, I'm having my Infinity installed next week and I need a couple of new ethernet cables to run from the hub to PC, Xbox etc. I've seen some cheap Belkin 2mtr ones on Amazon, £1.80 and others for 70p. Do you think they'd be ok or should I spend a bit more? Also are 'UTP patch' cables the same as ethernet cables?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Rottie
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Are cheap ethernet cables ok?

Go to solution

@joeyblgs wrote:

Hi, I'm having my Infinity installed next week and I need a couple of new ethernet cables to run from the hub to PC, Xbox etc. I've seen some cheap Belkin 2mtr ones on Amazon, £1.80 and others for 70p. Do you think they'd be ok or should I spend a bit more? Also are 'UTP patch' cables the same as ethernet cables?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Although there's nothing wrong per se with the cables for 70p, I wouldn't rely on their build quality, as the connectors and/or the cable are likely to be from the world-renowned "El Cheapo™" brand. 😉

Belkin, on the other hand, tend to be extremely good quality and use decent components, although they do tend to charge a premium for this, over and above what the "El Cheapo™" brands charge,  but you do get good VFM in comparison. 🙂

Personally speaking, I wouldn't worry about "Patch" or "Crossover" cables, as any half decent router will auto detect the correct cable type as soon as it is plugged in. 🙂

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
My motto in life - you buy sh*te you buy twice.

Spend the extra on decent quality stuff and be done with it 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
joeyblgs
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Cheers Rottie, just found some 3mtr yellow Belkin ones on Amazon for 57p, £1.99 if you want them in black....yellow it is thenSmiley Happy

0 Ratings
joeyblgs
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

What would you consider decent quality leads Webby?

0 Ratings
Rottie
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@joeyblgs wrote:

Cheers Rottie, just found some 3mtr yellow Belkin ones on Amazon for 57p, £1.99 if you want them in black....yellow it is thenSmiley Happy

Top tip for you: If you're planning on buying multiple cables of the same colour, it's best to print a little lable for each one with the device it's connected to and sellotape this to the cable.

An example: Cable 1 would be labelled "Modem", Cable 2 "Xbox", Cable 3 "Sky box", etc - This will help you identify the cable quickly if you ever need to unplug it to replace it, for whatever reason. 🙂

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
Anything branded really, sorry I flicked over your post and didn't see they were netgear ones 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
joeyblgs
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I've got them labelled at the moment Rottie but thanks anyway....I've currently got 5 devices and only 4 ports so I do have to unplug one at times.

No problem Webby and thanks.

0 Ratings
pepe999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@joeyblgs wrote:

I've got them labelled at the moment Rottie but thanks anyway....I've currently got 5 devices and only 4 ports so I do have to unplug one at times.

No problem Webby and thanks.

Hi,

Buy an ethernet switch. These 4 ethernet ports are a built in ethernet switch..:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ethernet+switch&x=0...

BT HomeHub 3 doesn't have gigabit ethernet ports so you may use even a cheap ethernet (also known as UTP unshielded twisted pair or STP shielded twisted pair but STP is not used much) cable. I have bought a box with 75 metres of UTP and crimp the cables myself..:)

0 Ratings
joeyblgs
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi pepe, to be honest mate I did consider a switch but I don't need one....the '5th' device that sometimes needs plugging into the router is my sons PS3 when he plays games online but he rarely plays it.

As for the cable, I've seen some Belkin 3mtr cables on Amazon, 4 for about £6 delivered...some I'm all good there.

But thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I'm impressed with this site, you're a very helpful bunch.......but lets hope I don't need to come here too often after I have Infinity installed!

0 Ratings