cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Are my P2P speeds being throttled?

Go to solution

Hello,

I have reason to believe that my Peer-to-Peer downloads are being throttled and have been for the past few days, which is quite frustrating as World of Warcraft, Steam server games (my primary concerns) and many Linux Distributions I have tested as requested by my torrent-client (how cliche, ho ho!) all seem to have lowered their speeds from what they were a few days ago, making them quite difficult to update and play. I know there's throttling schedules and all that but it did work about this time a few days ago just fine, downloading updates and content at the standard speed in a flash, and I have camped out until about half-twelve at midnight (reportedly when the throttling turns off) with no change to the speeds.

According to BT's official speedtester, I average 70 mbps down and 15 mbps up, yet when I go to one of my P2P applications, I can barely achieve one megabyte on what is supposed to be and is elsewhere an 8 megabyte per second connection at full pelt. Interestingly, Glasnost reports that the download speed is not the culprit, but the upload speed that is being throttled. Smiley Frustrated

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

P.S. I just realised this MAY be in the wrong section. I apologise.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Are my P2P speeds being throttled?

Go to solution
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/c/346/?s_cid=con_FURL_broadbandusagepolicy

Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical - for example, downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing - we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hello,

I have read that page already, confirming that I am on the Unlimited data 'cap' and at the time of writing this post, it is not 4 PM, only 3:21 PM. So, theoretically, there should not be a problem. I also stated in my post that this did not change after midnight and as such, there is something going on.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
it says
Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times
witch is the problem your having
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Never mind, thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
it says downloads restrictions 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight
and uploads restrictions at other times so i guess uploads are always restricted on p2p
unless you force encryption
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Uploads must be random.

'we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network'

Never experienced this before, but oddly, even after midnight where it SHOULD be off-peak, it still happens. I guess a lot of people have the same idea as me? Force encryption? Tried it, didn't work. And isn't even possible in the other applications that use P2P.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
as has already been posted UPSTREAM RESTRICTIONS can be in place at any time and for as long as needed so yes they are random
" We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, "
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I found this out just after Bullitt posted, I have a reading perception so specific detail in walls of text usually elude me. Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
any time 🙂
0 Ratings