cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kerrowmoar
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

Are there vast areas of NI that will never access Fibre Optic BB?

BT Infinity has reached my area but the line checker says I can't get it?.Options Mark as NewBookmarkSubscribeSubscribe to this message's RSS FeedHighlight this MessagePrintEmail this Message to a FriendReport Inappropriate Content....on 18-03-2011 13h47 Within an exchange area there will be some customers who can't get BT Infinity. There are several reasons why this could be the case: Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet. Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service. Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables. We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet. So, even though you may be within an enabled exchange area, it's possible that your particular line may not be able to have BT Infinity yet.

I am in the same position as the previous poster - I am connected to a FO-enabled cabinet 2km from my house.  There is another FO-enabled cabinet 1km from my house, but I can't get Fibre Optic.  You mention above that my particular line may not have BT Infinity YET - what will enable me to have it if I am too far from the cabinet & BT refuse to connect me to the closer cabinet?  I have e-mailed BT & NI Broadband with this query but no response received.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Are there vast areas of NI that will never access Fibre Optic BB?

If your FO-enabled cabinet is 2KM from your house you will not benefit from FTTC (Infinity) as speed are still governed by the length of the copper cable from the cabinet.

The speed drop over length is greater with VDSL (Infinity) than the ADSL you have now.

You would benefit nothing.

0 Ratings