cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Asus rt-ac68u FTTC MTU settings purchased from the BT Shop

Hi everyone I know that BT's MTU settings has been discussed and covered in many threads on here and I don't consider myself an expert on the subject, but I really would like some advice from perhaps an expert?

I purchased the brand new Asus rt-ac68u from the BT shop (best price found on the web) and entered the necessary username and password to enable my infinity 2 fibre connection.

After searching the Internet for the recommended BT wholesale MTU settings I found that the value of 1458 was recommended for ADSL, but nothing covers VDSL fibre and FTTC.

I have a separate ECI BT openreach modem that having then connected this to my router restricts the settings to under 1500 (1492) but is 1492 the correct value I should enter in my router or should I leave it at 1458?

I have used a ping tester and changed the values to 1442, 1458, 1474 and 1492, but there really doesn't seem to be any big difference or maybe the modem is altering things as I make adjustements?

1458 has been entered in to my rt-ac68u and the connection seems fine, although my download speed tends to rise and fall at different times of the day of which I believe are normal seeing that fibre was only installed in our area in September.

The upload speed doesn't really alter much so was wondering if there is a recommended MTU setting for third party routers, as I doubt very much I would receive any after sales advice from the BT shop.

I have asked a friend to use the SG TCP/IP Analyzer on his Home Hub 4 and separate eci modem by running the attached link to display his MTU, but have to wait till he backs from holiday unless someone on here could run the same test (router & separate modem) and share their MTU settings?

http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mszune

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Asus rt-ac68u FTTC MTU settings purchased from the BT Shop

MTU of 1458 is the correct one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Asus rt-ac68u FTTC MTU settings purchased from the BT Shop

Hi and thanks for your post, although another friend just sent me a snap shot of their MTU using a HH4 and separate modem, which indicates an MTU of 1492, so I'm guessing this one is the one to use not 1458?

mtu.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Re: Asus RT-AC68U RT-AC66U Infinity FTTC MTU Username and password settings.

To enable BT customers to find a quick solution for the correct username, password and MTU settings for the new fibre FTTC/VDSL/infinity service for third party routers like the RT-AC68U & RT-AC66U, I have added a screenshot of the RT-AC68U that I believe is identical to the RT-AC66U.

The same username and password is required for adsl broadband, although BT wholesale recommends a MTU setting of 1458, so I would stick with that for ADSL.

Username for Both ADSL & VDSL (infinity/fibre)

Username = bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password = BT

MTU for ADSL = 1458

MTU for VDSL = 1492 (if using a stand alone modem) 1500 if using a router with an internal/combined modem.

I am by no means an expert on any of the subjects covered in this post, although the information included has worked for me... 

Thanks Mszune

rt-ac68u1.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 10

I have an Asus rc-ac68u router that I am hoping to use with my new BT fibre connection that is being installed next week. 

What do I need to do to get it working properly so that the Asus jazz a real WAN IP address?  Do I need to buy an open reach modem from eBay?  I've just received the bthomehub so I'm guessing I won't be able to use it?

Any help is appreciated. Thank

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

You are best to use an Openreach modem and set the router up using the username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com and only use a pass word if the router asks for one. If it does need a password BT works.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 10

@mszune wrote:

To enable BT customers to find a quick solution for the correct username, password and MTU settings for the new fibre FTTC/VDSL/infinity service for third party routers like the RT-AC68U & RT-AC66U, I have added a screenshot of the RT-AC68U that I believe is identical to the RT-AC66U.

The same username and password is required for adsl broadband, although BT wholesale recommends a MTU setting of 1458, so I would stick with that for ADSL.

Username for Both ADSL & VDSL (infinity/fibre)

Username = bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password = BT

MTU for ADSL = 1458

MTU for VDSL = 1492 (if using a stand alone modem) 1500 if using a router with an internal/combined modem.

I am by no means an expert on any of the subjects covered in this post, although the information included has worked for me... 

Thanks Mszune

rt-ac68u1.jpg

Hi there,

I have just checked in the GUI of my R7000 router and I can confirm that the MTU is 1492.

I hope this info helps. 😄

MTU settings.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Rottie

You are replying to the OP who posted about 6 months ago. The thread was resurected by a new poster in message 5 who was asking a different question.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 10

@gg30340 wrote:

Rottie

You are replying to the OP who posted about 6 months ago. The thread was resurected by a new poster in message 5 who was asking a different question.

Hi GG,

My bad, been a long day, not helped by the heat. Smiley Surprised

Thanka for pointing out my error, though. Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Wasn't an error, easy done. I've done it myself many times when I forget to look at the post date.

0 Ratings