cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 34

Re: At my wits end re Saga of erratic Broadband connection speed and poor BT service support

Go to solution
have installed the latest version of java?
0 Ratings
colonel25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 34

Re: At my wits end re Saga of erratic Broadband connection speed and poor BT service support

Go to solution

Yep Java V6 update 31 build 1.6.0_31-b05 but also checked and tried manual update. 

Paul

0 Ratings
colonel25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 34

Go to solution

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I cannot paste the screen capture from my router.  Everything behaves as though the screen has captured but when I go to paste it, nothing happens.  Is there a setting on the forum that controls this?  I'm not a computer expert but not a dummy either and I can't see what's wrong.

In any case, having run the BT speedtest this morning from my laptop with ethernet into to HH2 I was getting 11 Meg up and 0.8 Meg down which was a lot better then yesterday.  Then connected via wireless and ran BB MAx tester which gave me also 11.4 Meg so clearly no problem with wireless.  Tried this with both laptop and desk top same result.  So far this morning (05:26 to 08:45) I have had speeds from 3.4Mb up to 15.9Mb and in between.  I've even tried changing the HH2 back to the HH3 and the speed seems to have settled at around 10Mb which is much lower than I have been getting.

Here is my current ADSL status just pasted from the screen

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:39:22
Downstream:17.59 Mbps
Upstream:1.126 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):3.2 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):20.2 dB / 11.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.1 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):8569684 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):4463 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):2057 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):891 / 0
0 Ratings
colonel25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 34

Go to solution

I have been looking at other posts regarding erratic speed and I am particularly intrigued by the post which relates to introduction of Infinity locally causing ADSL users to lose connection speed.  I mentioned that an engineer said on 26th April that my line may have been "lifted and shifted" and this seems to possibly explain why I suddenly had an improved connection speed.

My speed has happily chugged along for the last week at around 14Mb and only yesterday has it dropped back again.  Could it be that I have been lifted and shifted again but this time to a less hot VP?

I can't get any information from BT support as they don't seem to have any about what they do at the exchange side and OR will not talk to me?  Oh boy I'm rapidly losing the will to live 😞

Can I make it clear that for the last two years I have had a satisfactory BB connection with speeds up to 14Mb.  I have a wireless network in my house that also has worked perfectly for 2 years.  Nothing has changed EXCEPT the original HH2 failed and had to be replaced.  That was the start of all my problems.

Regards

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 34

Go to solution

what speeds do you get when you run btspeedtester beta lite version.  even though your wireless set up has not changed there could be something causing an interference problem eg a neighbour now has a new router on same channel as you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
colonel25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 34

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Not sure what beta version is but on the BT speedtester this morning I had 11Mb down and 800Kb up.  I have checked local wireless interference using "inSSIDer" and tried swapping channels just to be sure but amplitude stays good at around -54 dBm and does not show much fluctation. I am at least 3 channels away from nearest neighbours router.

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 34

Go to solution

so speeds are ok just now at off peak and wireless from inssider are ok at 54 on graph and 3 channels from anyone else

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
colonel25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 34

Go to solution

All correct sir.  Although speed at 05:30 this morning had dropped to 3.7Mb

0 Ratings
colonel25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 34

Go to solution

Just found beta Light speedtest and ran it.

Download 15.6 Mb

Upload 0.91 Mb

Ping latency 41ms

This from my desktop which is on a 150N Netgear wireless dongle.

This compares with BBMax speedtester

Download 11.9Mb

Upload 0.91

Latency 84ms

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 34

Go to solution

the good thing about the beta version is there is no limit on the frequency of testing and as you are the new profiling system your profile will be ok and just download speed you want to check then beta is ok