i am even more cynical i have heard that before from the help line
as the download speed fluctuate but are probably never below you acceptable limit I cannot see what mods will do or openreach.
is it possible that when you try checking the speed using the laptop that something is running on the pc at the same time?
I thought I would post an update on here as it looks like the problem may finally be resolved. In the end I used the moderator contact on this forum and I got an email contact back within a few days. Unfortunately it took a lot of emailing backwards and forwards to finally get somebody involved who understood the nature of the problem, my frustration, and was repaired to take ownership of it. My thanks to Craig, and Stephanie and Stewart but especially to Craig.
Having listened to my problem Craig took the time to explain why he thought the connection speed was all over the place. His theory? - The router kept dropping the connection and the BT systems see that and continually try to reset the router remotely to get a better speed. Once it sees an improvement it will reset it again and continue doing this until it achieves your profile speed again. I think I said that I had received a HH3 router to replace my original HH2, but as I had problems connecting my wife's DS to it, they sent me out a replacement HH2 to try. So over about three weeks I had been continually changing over the routers and each time I did this, the system would reset the router as it thought there was another problem.
To try and keep a long story short, after seeing my connection speed settle down at around 13Mb over about 5 days using the HH3, I then tried to connect up all my devices again. The only one that continued to give a problem was my Humax PVR box which each time I connected it, dragged the bandwidth down to practically zero. Having discussed this further with Craig, we decided that the HH3 must be faulty and as it was an "A" version, Craig arranged to send me a new "B" version which arrived yesterday.
Everything was connected up again during yesterday and so far connection speed is stable and everything seems to be working. The only issue that this has not been resolved is the one where my wife's DS game will not work if I drop the router security level to WEP which is what it needs (or the game needs rather than the actual DS) as it seems to see a conflict with the security settings on the HH3 although again, this all worked fine with my original HH2. So, I have added in a Netgear router as an additional access point running into an Ethernet port on the HH3 and with the Netgear running WEP security level and no DHCP, it all works.
My thanks to the forum moderators who picked this problem up for me and stayed with it until a solution was found. I am still upset with BT and wonder why they cannot escalate this kind of problem a bit more efficiently rather than the customer having to search around to try and find a way of actually getting beyond a level 2 help person who don't seem to have the same influence at all.
As for the Open Reach engineer who visited and was more useless than a chocolate teapot and rude to boot, I hope they will in future at least educate their engineers to understand that you CAN connect more than 3 wireless devices to a BT router.