Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewO
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

At the end of my tether

Good afternoon,

This is my first post on these forums and I can't believe it's with a moan, so my apologies.  This may not be the right section to post in, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

We've had BT since we moved in to our property nearly two years ago.  At first it was great and we really liked having On Demand etc.  Then slowly we started experiencing problems ie error messages with On Demand, slow broadband speeds.  I put this down to peak times and didn't think much of it.  We made some calls to customer support and would get told different things, but as problems did seem to resolve didn't think much of it.

A couple of months ago we came home to discover we had no access to anything and made a call to the customer support line.  After 45 minutes of doing what he asked we were no further forward and he hadn't a clue what was wrong.  This led to an engineer coming out who didn't know what was wrong, but after swapping out our home hub it seemed to help.  He told us what he thought what was wrong, but after an hour with HIM on the phone to technical support wasn't sure.  I then received a call from another CSA who told me that the engineer was wrong and that it wasn't what we'd been told.  That problem then seemed to be fixed.  All in all we had no service for a week.

Since that problem we have had issues with On Demand content were we get constant jumping and error messages and this always leads to me having to reset the Hub and Vision Box.  Not great when you're paying to rent a film and then can't watch it.

Last night we noticed we couldn't watch anything on On Demand.  This has continued today and now there is a problem with the phone service.  I've gone through the on-line guide and reported the fault through an incredibly frustrating automatic service (I wanted to actually speak to someone), and now had a text saying that they hope it will be resolved by 5pm on the 4th OF APRIL.  So potentially we will have no phone or access to On Demand for the next 5 days!

Don't get me wrong, when I speak to someone in Customer Services they are always lovely people who help when they can and this does help.  But the fact is we are paying money every month for a service that we are rarely satisfied with it does begin to get more than a little frustrating.  If I'm honest we've started talking about cancelling our subscription and going with another provider, which is not something we're especially keen on, but I'm beginning to feel messed about here.

If someone can offer any other words of advice then please let me know, but at I'm at my wits end with this.  I'm sick of paying for a service that there's problems with every couple of months.

Thank you!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: At the end of my tether

This sound more like a broadband connection problem rather than a problem with BT Vision itself.

Are you using powerline connectors to link the hub to the BT Vision box, or is it directly connected?

Please could you provide your ADSL stats

and BT speedtester results.

0 Ratings
AndrewO
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

The hub is directly connected to the BT Vision box, so no powerline connectors. 

When I ran the Speedtester results this is what I got:

1. Best Effort Test:                         -provides background information.

Download Speed

1.09 Mbps

0 Kbps

2 Mbps
  Max Achievable Speed

Download speed      achieved during the test was - 1.09 Mbps
  For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds      is 800 Kbps-2 Mbps.
  IP Profile for your line is - 1.32 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

109 Kbps

0 Kbps

832 Kbps
  Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed      achieved during the test was - 109Kbps
  Additional Information:
  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

And this:

1. Assured Rate Test:                         -provides background information.

Download Speed

1.22 Mbps

0 Kbps

0 Kbps
  Max Achievable Speed

Download speed      achieved during the test was - 1.22   Mbps
  For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds      is 0 Kbps-0 Kbps .
  Additional Information:
  Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 0 Kbps

2. Video Service Quality Test: -provides background information.

Video Service Quality Test Failed

Your service was found to be performing poorly. Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance.

The ASDL is:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 02:22:27
Downstream:1.523 Mbps
Upstream:159.6 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.0 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):61.9 dB / 37.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.5 dBm / 11.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):128 / 966
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Your connection is too slow to support BT Vision. The maximum speed of your line, under ideal conditions, would be 2400Kbs which would give an IP profile of 2000Kbs.

I assume that you are connected to the BT master socket?

Did BT do a speed test for you before you originally ordered BT Vision?

Has anything changed at your end?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rachael42
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Furthermore the connection time appears to be only 2 hours 22 mins

this could be a reason why the ip profile is so low. If the hub disconnects frequently or is switched on and off too often then the profile is lowered. 

You need a constant adsl connection for 10 days for the profile to stabilise and give the best possible connection speed.

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

As I think this problem is more to do with connection speed, I am moving this to the broadband connection board, where are team of helpers reside Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

with your attenuation I would hope for a connection speed of 2/2.5mb on a good line with no problems

are you connected to master or test socket? do you have other sockets whether in use or not?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings