cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keeping-up
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Automatic power save on hub 3 - does it actually happen?

Go to solution

I recently received a new Home Hub 3. The help files say that it will enter automatic power save mode after 5 minutes if all connected devices are switched off, and that the lights on the front will then glow at a reduced intensity.

I have noticed that the lights on the front are never dimmed, even when my two computers - one wireless and one ethernet - are both switched off. My next-door neighbour (who has also just received a new Hub 3) says that it is the same with him.

Does the auto power save not work, or is there some other feature involved such as having to have the manual power-save disabled ?

14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Automatic power save on hub 3 - does it actually happen?

Go to solution

As long as every device connected to it, which by the sounds of it, you only have 2 PC's connected and not for example PLA's, a mobile phone or storage device, then Auto power save should be working.....

I would guess that if you're also opted in to BTFon (knowingly or not), then others using this part of the hub, which is completely separate to your connection, may override the auto power save mode.

Manual power save is slightly different, as this only shuts down the wireless, not devices connected by Ethernet.

Having manual set and then disconnecting all other devices, should not affect the auto power save mode.

(out of pure curiosity, when I get chance, I'll look in to this in detail)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Keeping-up
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Actually although I am subscribed to Fon, it has not been activated on the Home Hub because until recently I was using a Voyager router, so I'm fairly sure nobody else could be using it on Fon.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

I'd double check, as the process of the hub being activated for Fon/Openzone is automatic....

Something like inSSIDer will help to see if you're broadcasting these as well as your own unique SSID.

0 Ratings
Keeping-up
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

I'm assuming that Fon is not activated because the home page of the Hub Manager says under services: "BT FON: Not active on your BT Home Hub" followed by a button marked "Activate Service".

I have been subscribed to FON since its inception; I have read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that in order to activate it on my Hub, I must first opt out and then opt back in.

My laptop doesn't show BT FON as one of the "available networks" although it does show up if I travel to another location.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

The hub stating that BTFon is not active does mean that your hub is NOT broadcasting the signals. Keep an eye on this as this may change in the future.

The process should be automatic, but yes, if the hub doesn't show them as active, simply opting out and immediately back in should cause the signal to be resent to the hub.

Anyway, I tested the auto power save in the early hours and ...........drum roll please............ it worked as expected.

(all Ethernet cables removed from the hub and all wireless devices were disconnected from the hub).

The lights dropping in intensity is quite noticeable, more so in a darkened room.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Keeping-up
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
No, definitely no automatic power save here. I opted out from BTFon and then opted back in, to see if it made a difference, and now it shows as active on the hub, but the auto power save definitely still does not kick in on my hub3, nor on my neighbour's. Both are new hubs, I wonder if they have changed something in the firmware?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hmm, not sure why they won't go in to auto power save mode

To confirm and to double check .... All Ethernet and wireless devices are disconnected?

My HH3 currently has the following firmware - Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A)

0 Ratings
Keeping-up
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Yes mine shows exactly the same firmware, Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A)

All the devices are switched off - not just put into standby, but actually powered down at the mains (except the laptop which of course is merely switched off)

Very puzzling. Of course it may be that it IS going into low-power mode but just not dimming the blue lights, although overnight when the full BT powersave cuts in it successfully goes to sleep leaving just the one orange light. Luckily it's not the sort of issue that is going to cause mjor problems, I can live with it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

It could be that you've also got the manual power save mode set up - I haven't.

One of the hubs little mysteries!

0 Ratings