Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesR
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Auxilary Phone Line

Here is my problem....

- I have a home phone line / broadband / tv via Sky at present.

- I have just ordered a full package from BT to replace - Fibre b'band/BT TV and BT phone etc

- BT phoned today to advise that my phone line is an 'Auxilary' line and needs to be changed to a standard line or I need to be allocated a new number. They advise my current provider (I assume Sky) needs to mark the line as 'Standard' rather than 'Auxilary'.

- The reason I have this problem.....

- I have 5 lines coming into the house - my residential line (which I want BT to use) and 4 business lines (2 of us work at home and I thought we had two lines but I believe we each have a phone and data line (ISDN?) 

- If I ask BT to allocate me a new number or if I ask Sky to change the residential line from Auxilary to Standard will either option give me a problem - what I am most concerned about is stopping my business lines working??!!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Auxilary Phone Line

An Auxiliary Line is a multiline...... I would check BT aren't trying to takeover your ISDN line.......
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 5

How many phone numbers?, if you have BT ISDN2, 4 lines is really 2 lines with 2 channels each, are these on one number and your residential line on another ?, with BT you cannot have broadband on an ISDN line, Sky may have different rules, is your ISDN a BT service sold to you by Sky or on Sky's own network
If you only have one number and 5 lines/channels all delivered over Sky's network, then to avoid possible problems losing your business lines I would get BT to install a brand new line, with a new number, then the only problem you may have is if there isn't enough lineplant to give you another line along side your existing ones
0 Ratings
LesR
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for info - I have two work phone numbers (one for me and one for my partners who works for same employer) - therefore probably ISDN2 - 2 lines with 2 channels each which will deliver our work phone lines and data lines for internet access. I believe this service is provided by BT Business .....although all sorted by my employer so I do not see any info/bills re this. The residential line is a separate number and I pay line rental to Sky and BT could have taken this over except that it is marked as an 'auxiliary' line. I think I am going to tell BT to provide me with a new residential number - this is an option they offered which they advised would not impact....although I am not totally convinced that they were certain!!
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 5

Is your residential Sky line a different number from either your or your partners business numbers ?, if you dial 17070 is should recite the number to you, if you are on Sky's own network (MPF) it should say something like hi, I'm Zoe want do you want, if it's WLR 3 BT resold by Sky , it will probably recite the number only, or may say BT line test services,
I think BT have got it wrong and are finding your ISDN line when searching for you current service , that's why they are calling it an aux line, but it's not this you want to migrate , but the Sky (probably MPF) line, if Zoe speaks it's MPF
0 Ratings