cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Aweful Line rating

Hello this is my first post here and unfortunatly it isnt a very posative one so I apolagise for that.

Before I start the important things are

Postcode PE86BJ

Exchange Wansford

ISP PlusNet

Basically I have been experiancing really slow internet since I moved into my house 2 years ago and over the months have got to the bottom of the reason why.

I found out  the following

Standard ADSL RAG results

• You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
  • You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
  • You can receive 512kbps ADSL
  • You can receive 256kbps ADSL

My line is rated at 512kbps now this made no sense to me as I am quite technology illiterate but upon researching it I found out that this is 10x faster than dial up speeds we had 10 years ago, and nothing compared to the more average and often complained about 6mb connections people get (I know even this is classed as slow now).

So a little more research on a forum I go on I found out that people in America complain about 30mb connections this all seems ludacris to me so I looked into maybe switching providers. I then found out that I am in a Market class one area meaning BT are the only suppliers. So I figured sweet this must surly mean that when it comes to upgrading the speeds we would be pretty high up the order right, WRONG we have to basically sit and wait and watch while people with 6mb connections are getting upgraded to 20mb connections, wow

So I have stupidly slow internet

Everyone I play online with have to me awesome connections

there is no point switching ISP as its my line rating that effects me

there are no other companies suppling to this area so its tough luck

they are not fixing this anytime soon

but I still have to pay the same amount of money as everyone else for both my line rental AND my ISP (basic rate upto 6mb with Plus.Net)

So why am I here? just to rant? no!

I was just wondering on last chance saloon if there is anything I can do to get a more upto date connection speed I mean my exchange is 2miles away (I understand this isnt great) but I live in a village right outside a RAF Camp so I was wondering why do all our boys in the service (me included) have to settle with awefull internet just because BT are the only ones that supply us line rental?

Basically I read into it as Screw you guys pay us the money and get the scraps that have been left over and if you dont like it tough luck you wont get internet.  I hate thinking like this and still nievly wonder if I am going to be told to eat my words because there IS somthing we can do to bring us upto date with the rest of the country.

I heard somthing about a plate or somthing how do I find out if I am allowed this or if it is available in my area, by the way my postcode is PE*^BJ and my closest exchange is wansford with the following info

This all means nothing to me but maybe someone with some knowledge can help me with my issues as I really cant afford to move house just to get decent internet 😄

The following services are available in your location:

• BT Wholesale ADSL
  • BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT ADSL broadband availability

You are connected to the Wansford telephone exchange.

• ADSL is available in your area
  • Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
  • Your exchange is not yet enabled for ADSL2+ services

According to BT Wholesale, houses at your postcode should be able to support a 1Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results
  • You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
  • You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
  • You can receive 512kbps ADSL
  • You can receive 256kbps ADSL

You are approximately 3.29km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

• SDSL is not yet available in your area
According to BT Wholesale, houses in your postcode can support an SDSL service of 512kbps (Amber)
FTTC is not yet available in your area

The following table details the availability of LLU services at your location.

• AOL is not yet available in your area
  • O2 / Be Unlimited is not yet available in your area
  • Bulldog (C&W) is not yet available in your area
  • TalkTalk (CPW) has not yet unbundled your exchange
  • Sky Broadband / Easynet is not yet available in your area
  • Edge Telecom is not yet available in your area
  • Entanet is not yet available in your area
  • Lumison is not yet available in your area
  • Newnet is not yet available in your area
  • Node4 is not yet available in your area
  • Pipex is not yet available in your area
  • Smallworld Media is not yet available in your area
  • Tiscali is not yet available in your area
  • Tiscali TV is not yet available in your area
  • Orange is not yet available in your area
  • WB Internet is not yet available in your area
  • Zen is not yet available in your area
Cable
  • Virgin Media cable is not available in your area
  • Smallworld Media cable is not available in your area

Wireless Broadband Availability
  • Now (Formerly Netvigator) is not yet available in your area
  • Kijoma Wireless Broadband is not yet available in your area
  • EMNET Nottingham Wireless Broadband is not yet available in your area
  • Urban Wimax is not yet available in your area
  • Orbital / VFast is not yet available in your area
BT 21st Century Network (21CN) rollout

You are connected to the Wansford telephone exchange.

• Wholesale Broadband Connect is not yet available in your area
So with all this in mind is there ANYTHING at all I can do to improve my service if so what? and how much will it cost?
Thank you guys and sorry if this is hard to read or seen as a rant I am kinda upset and not very good at typing
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Aweful Line rating

you are obviously in a small village as none of the other ISPs are prepared to install their equipment in your exchange.  They like BT are driven by profilt for the sharehoders and have decided upgrading or installing their equipment would not provide enough profilt if any on their investment.  There are many many places like yours but that is of little consolation

if you would like some help/suggestions from the forum can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results. Someone may then be able to offer assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Re: Awful Line rating

Firstly do as imjolly suggests,  the iplate you mention can be found here-

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-iplate---bt-broadband-accelerator-58LT.html

Also make sure you are connected to the master socket of your Bt line, also disconnect any extensions by removing bottom half of the master socket and connect your router. Are you connected by wireless if so consider a wired connection

For peace of mind you can enter your distance from the exchange this  will  show you best case scenario, i say best as the connection might not run straight to your home you could be much longer from the exchange- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

As another noob can I ask how to get the stats published by the OP? I have checked the BT wholesale site but cannot get info as detailed as that.

I have abysmal Broadband speed (about 0.5meg). I presume this is because of my distance from the exchange and that my road is fed from poles with no local cabinets that I can see.

I could change from BT right now and get the same abysmal service for about half the price.

What I am trying to work out is, is it worth hanging around for Infinity to reach my exchange (Windsor in March this year) and hope it mildly improves my speed or whether I should just jump ship now and save money.

I would prefer to increase the speed rather than save a few bob.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

The Exchange Checker at Samknows.com .Those for Windsor show that Infinity may be a bit later than you had hoped. According to the BT Infinity website, just because an exchange is activated on Infinity does not mean that every subscriber will have access to it - its all down to where the cabinets are placed.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Ok thanks for the info.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I live in Boston, Lincolnshire & my line test via Kitz shows I should be able to get 3.5Mbps on ADSL2 + .

My distance from the exchange is  shown as 1.9km line-of-sight & 3.6km by road.

In November 2010 my speed increased to around 2.5Mbps but I'm currently getting around 1Mbps.

I can only assume that those with 8Mbps & more must rent roomes in the exchanges!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Re: Aweful Line rating

Welcome to Wittering ! 4km of wire away from the exchange so probably 2M maximum depending on where you are in the village.

Is there a wireless scheme from Javelin Broadband on/around the base ? see if your wifi picks it up.

http://fasterwansford.blogspot.com/ is about your problem and possible solutions.

Phil

PE8 6PS

0 Ratings