Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stinkipete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Awful Broadband Connection

Hi everyone,

After almost 2 months, BT/Openreach have finally installed by broadband. But, the connection is terrible. Basic browsing is fine, but trying to play online games, Skype or stream videos is terrible. Constant disconnecting, buffering etc.

It's the same for wireless and wired. I ran a network test on my Xbox One and this is the result

Download Speed: 1.42mbps

Upload Speed: 0.06

Packet Loss: 7%

MTU:1480

Latency: 398ms

Can anyone help? I've tried to upgrade to Inifinity, but according to the website fibre is not available on my line(?) but next door have a fibre connection. If I use my postcode, it says that I can upgrade. As soon as I put I have a working phone line in and my number, it then says no.

The BT Broadband availability checker shows fibre is available from what I can tell?

broadband.png

Please help!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Awful Broadband Connection

if you have a hh4 can you go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 lines together when hub last reset  can you post please

like this

04:45:06, 15 Apr.    (611423.970000) DSL noise margin: 14.00 dB upstream, 14.80 dB downstream
04:45:06, 15 Apr.    (611423.900000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 1536 Kbps downstream

if not a HH4 can you post router stats

can you run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results

from what I can see cab 7 is fibre enabled.  were there any notes below checker results?  is it possible you are a long way from street cabinet?  maybe the openreach database is not updated if you just moved home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stinkipete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for your response, I'll get that info for you when I get home.

The notes below the line checker were;

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line does not have left in jumpers.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30-Nov-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 14

@stinkipete

PCP 7 is located here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.689356,-1.588917,3a,75y,213.44h,67.39t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1hjx9XS... and it's FTTC DSLAM is near it too (on KINGSWAY, OSSETT, WF5 8ED). It's also accepting Orders for FTTC.

Roughtly how far away are you from there, as by the looks of it you could be 1.5/2Km away (in "copper" line length) which could be the reason why FTTC fibre broadband isn't available to you. Please bear in mind that the "copper" line pair to your property may not go the most logical way to PCP7 and therefore can be longer.

0 Ratings
stinkipete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Hi Jac_95,

I'm 0.7 miles away from the cabinet via road distance?

Thanks!

@jac_95 wrote:

@stinkipete

PCP 7 is located here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.689356,-1.588917,3a,75y,213.44h,67.39t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1hjx9XS... and it's FTTC DSLAM is near it too (on KINGSWAY, OSSETT, WF5 8ED). It's also accepting Orders for FTTC.

Roughtly how far away are you from there, as by the looks of it you could be 1.5/2Km away (in "copper" line length) which could be the reason why FTTC fibre broadband isn't available to you. Please bear in mind that the "copper" line pair to your property may not go the most logical way to PCP7 and therefore can be longer.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 14

@stinkipete

If your "copper" line is at roughly 1.13 Km (0.7miles) long, though it could be longer, then it may be possible to get a VDSL2 FTTC connection at an estimated ~15Mbps to ~20Mbps according the VDSL2 sync speed vs line length graph by OFCOM

What FTTC VDSL2 sync speed does your neighbours get?

However in some cases it could also be a database issue.

0 Ratings
stinkipete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

How do I go about correcting a database issue?

Thanks again for helping with this.

@jac_95 wrote:

@stinkipete

If your "copper" line is at roughly 1.13 Km (0.7miles) long, though it could be longer, then it may be possible to get a VDSL2 FTTC connection at an estimated ~15Mbps to ~20Mbps according the VDSL2 sync speed vs line length graph by OFCOM

What FTTC VDSL2 sync speed does your neighbours get?

However in some cases it could also be a database issue.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

do you know what speeds your neighbours get on fibre?  are the conencted to same cab as you - just even next door neighbours may be on different cabs

you can enter their phone number in checker to see- if you know it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stinkipete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I spoke to my neighbour a few weeks ago, he said he was getting 30mbps+. He had the same issue as me when he first moved in, his ADSL speed was terrible.

I've just checked, he is connected to cabinet 7 also!

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

I think best way forward is to ask mods to see if they can get database checked for your number  mods will post a contact us link 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings