the mod team have direct access of all parts of the BT
Group including Openreach

thats not what they told me

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 48

Re: Awful Speeds & Service

Thanks for the help. While i posted that I was on the phone to BT for an hour. The guy in India (Kolkata centre) was actually really helpful. Remote logged into my PC and started playing about. 

I'm not sure how, but conveniently my broadband speed was up to scratch according to 'speedtest.net' (on my mac while he was talking) however now it's lower again. in the high teens but not the 28 that was showing while I was talking to the guy.

The guy I spoke to was apparently fromthe 'infinity' section, and ran some additional tests on his end (what these were he didnt explain). He did explain though that speedtest.net has caused them problems in the past. While I can understand these are not 100% accurate, they are usually a good indicator of speed - and he said if the internet doesnt seem slow, and youtube doesnt jerk around (i.e. buffers properly) then take that as the indicator - of which i thought that's not a great way to judge it!

Should I continue with the engineer visit tomorrow? and the mod team?

All help is appreciated!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 48

Yes you should carry on as planned
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 48

And the saga continues.

The lady yesterday afternoon had assured me it was written down in my notes that the who was to visit today (18th Sept) would call me when he needed to gain access to the property, so I could pop home to grant the access as I cannot take the day off work.

I had double checked this with her and she had said, definately you will get a call. I thought excellent, although inside I knew that this probably wouldnt happen.

Guess what? It didnt happen. I went home at lunch and phoned BT asking if an engineer had infact come out to my property and it turns out they did, but I wasnt it. I hope I am not charged for their error. If I knew that it was not possible for them to phone me when the needed to have a look, then I would have organised it for a time when I can get someone to sit at home for me.

Anyway, I had a very 'loud' conversation, trying to be connected with a UK centre, apparently it is not Physically possible. I am however able to make a complaint, and I will most certainly be doing this.

I would still like The mods that John mentioned on a previous post to help me, but so far, I have had nothing but false promises and poor customer service away from this forum. Whether it works or not, I will be emailing the CEO of BT explaining my problems.

It isnt hard to understand why the Public's perception of BT is so negative from this experience. I had BT broadband for years without a hitch at my parent's house, however, in my own place, I have had a lot of trouble. I find it hard to understand why BT does not have any UK call centres, or if they do, such a low volume of people able to take calls that they mostly get routed abroad. I also find it hard to understand why in cases such as mine, the BT systems dont seem to collaborate with each other - everytime I have phoned, I have been asked what is the problem - i explain - and the instant response is line check - (everything is fine on their line check) - we'll book an engineer! Why isnt there someone in the UK that can handle these problems from start to finish, like a personal point of contact for BT and customer? I understand that BT Openreach, due to regs, cannot directly 'talk' to BT Wholesale? (I'm not sure wholesale provide a domestic user with their broaband?) but still there should be a service available of some sort.

It also seems that as soon as you raise your voice and mention 'complaint' or something along those lines - all of a sudden the boat is shaken, and things start to get done!

I will most DEFINATELY be looking for some sort of good will gesture from BT due to my troubles. Whether it's a contractless upgrade to infinity 2, or the remaining 3 months of my contract discounted I dont know (perhaps I'm being optimistic - although both seem fair to me :P). Even if I change to another provider, ultimately it's BT's network and changing provider probably wont help. 

I have just received a phonecall from the apparent supervisor I was speaking to in India. She has contacted the openreach engineer that came to my vacant property today and it was indeed an FTTC engineer which is what I needed. The engineer of saturday, did in fact update the notes saying an FTTC engineer is required to carry more tests.

The callcentre lady seems to be very helpful which is a nice change - and does seem to be contacting the right people in the UK. I have another engineer coming tomorrow (a line one) and I presume as nothing will be found, a broadband one the day after. The one tomorrow, should phone me though 🙂 I hope. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 48

So another update.

Delivering on what they said, and what the lady said in Mumbai, the BT engineer came to my house and rang me to ensure I could come and let him in.

A very friendly and knowledgeable, finally trained in everything. This engineer also was not scared of the Openreach wrath of 'do as many jobs as you can in one day, regardless of the customer service!'. He believed that good customer service is important, and is what will help BT in the long run.

Anyway. Long story short: He tested my line inside, again nothing wrong. He then connected some equipment to the pair of cables that run into my 'master socket' and realised that there was a small 'short' from the Cavity Wall Box (I Live in MK - I believe we are of the few that have CWBs?) to my master socket. He proceeded to change this out to a brand new one. Why hadnt this been done before?

He also informed me that he will discover which 'line' from the cabinet is best, and will change the necessary things to ensure I'm on the best possible line. Excellent, thanks mate!

He phoned me once he had done all this and said, that the other lines weren't much better, but still I believe I am on a new pair to the cabinet. 

In chatting, I asked various questions and got a lot of answers too. 

Turns out I have Aluminium cable from my house to the cabinet. Great, I thought Aluminium cable was only used in the Walnut Tree area of MK. Obviously not - I do wonder where else MK has Aluminium cables from cab to house? (if anyone knows where I can find this info, thanks!)

After my constant hassling of knowing the ins and outs of the network, I asked what is the best speed if I had a copper, and near perfect line. Obviously a perfect line would be lossless - hard unless fibre of course. 

The following information I was told shocked me a little. My cabinet is capable of up to 101mbps (I guess this ties in with Infinity 2 - altho the 100mbps BT offer says it is unavailable in my area...). My service however, was capped at 32mbps.

Now I'm not sure how these cabs work but, I'm paying for a 40mbps service (OK OK 38mbps), surely this should mean that my cabinet should allow me to get a theoretical max speed of 40mbps on the perfect (fibre optic) line? 

Even if i did have fibre to my house - I would not get 40 as BT have capped it to 32. I get roughly 85% of the max of the cabinet speed. Yep you guessed it, 85% of 32 is about 27.2mbps (I was predicted when I ordered 28-29).

So, if this cabinet was uncapped and so allowing the full 40mbps, i would get a predicted speed of 34mbps! Yes, that's nearly a whole extra Megabyte per second!

What I'm getting at is this:

Why would BT cap the cab to 32mbps? I would love to know as I cannot think of any logical reason.

Also who can I talk to about this, as I'm pretty sure this type of question is over and above the remit of the BT call centre in India. Or how can I get into contact with someone who could actually answer (and not bull**bleep** me).

I'm not to sure what legislation says, but surely if I am paying for an 'up to 40mbps' service, then the cab should at least be at the max limit? I thought the 'up to' was purely there for people that dont have the perfect line (obviously no one does - unless you have fibre).

Any answers would be greatly helpful. And if the Mods could phone me - day 3 is tomorrow since I 'reported' to them, that would be even better as they might be able to get me some 'non scripted' answers!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 27 of 48

your paying for up to 40
your getting up to 40
your apparent cap is probably due to aluminium
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 48

Surely I'm not getting up to 40 as even with FTTP I can only get up to 32. so I'm technically paying for up to 32, not 40?

Again who, in BT can I contact to speak about this apart from 151 as I'm sure they wont be able to help.

I cant imagine that allowing a potential max 40mbps down aluminium cable is the reason for the cap? The engineer also mentioned that the aluminium shouldn't be a cause for the cap. 

Will the mods contact me today? As it's day 3 of 3.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 48

the mods will contact you as soon as your mail reaches the top of the queue normally 3 days but sometimes it can be longer
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 48

If you were on FTTP you would get the full speed as it is a different product and NO COPPER ? ALUMINIUM is used
The cap is due to you are paying for the UP to 40MB service and you are getting 32 mb because of the distance you are from the cabinet and the fact you have ALUMINIUM cables it is not a cabinet cap it is the maximum speed for the product you have purchased
0 Ratings