cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 48

Re: Awful Speeds & Service

Also FTTP is fibre straight to your home NO Copper or Aluminium and is a 100mb Product not 40 Mb 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 32 of 48

@spaced wrote:

Surely I'm not getting up to 40 as even with FTTP I can only get up to 32. so I'm technically paying for up to 32, not 40?

up to 40 means between zero and 40 and 32 is between zero and 40 so your getting what you pay for

im guessing you expected to get maximum speed but everyone doesnt get that only people close to the cabinet with perfect lines get maximum speed everyone else gets up to whatever their line supports

if your line supports 32 then thats what you get

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 48

it also depends on which package you purchase up to 38 or up to 78
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 48

I think you both have missed my point. 

I know that FTTP is to the home and no copper cables are involved. Hence Fibre TO THE PREMISES.

I was speaking theoretically that even with the perfect line (which would be a fibre) I would only get up to 32mbps.

What bullitt mentioned makes sense in a way, however my point stands. From what i have understood the 'up to' was in my home, not in the cab? i.e. the cab should be at 38 (the max for the service that I'm paying for - after all, there is fibre to the cabinet and hence 0 loss) and my 'up to' speed is (i thought) dependent on the line quality to my house (in my case Aluminium).

At the cab, as the engineer explained. It should be 40mbps. Well 38mbps as that's my service maximum. So if i was right next to the cab that's what i should get (in theory). But, as the cab is limited to 32, so even if i was right next to it, i would only get 32, or as i explained even with a lossless system to my home, I would only get 32mbps. 

Why, or how could the cabinet be 'limited' to 32mbps if it has a fibre optic line to it - i.e. lossless?

Is there really an 8 mbps difference between the conversion from the fibre to my cable? 

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but it seems near to impossible that a lossless system is giving me 32mbps without being capped anywhere, whether exchange or in the cab. No to mention that the cab, is in fact capable of 101mbps (another bit of info the engineer gave me).

As far as im concerned though, my line maximum should be 40mbps. My actual rate that I will get because of the quality of my line and the distance from the cab I am, the rate i will get is approx 85% of the max.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 48

"Why, or how could the cabinet be 'limited' to 32mbps if it has a fibre optic line to it - i.e. lossless?

Is there really an 8 mbps difference between the conversion from the fibre to my cable? "

The Cabinet is not limited to 32mb your package is limited to 40mb (38)

And yes  the  drop in speed is due to losses in your line caused by the aluminium and distance from the cabinet 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 36 of 48

i think all cabs can supply 80mbit/s your speed is totally dependant on the cable from the cab to your house
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 48

correct Bullitt all cabs can supply 80mb +
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 48

"i think all cabs can supply 80mbit/s your speed is totally dependant on the cable from the cab to your house"

Yes I understand that it is dependent on the quality of line from house to cab. But at the cab my line gets 32mbps as opposed to 38. and the 85% loss due to line quality further reduces my speed to 27-28mbps.

when is said:

"Is there really an 8 mbps difference between the conversion from the fibre to my cable? "

I meant within the cab.

Anyway the Engineer informed me of this:

- The cabinet is capped at 32mbps, thus meaning (as I've mentioned before) even with a perfect line I can only get 32mbps. 

- The cabinet is capable of 101mbps

Please confirm, is the 'up to' 40mbps supposed to be in my house. or at the cab?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 48

No it is nothing to do with the cab the up to relates to the package you purchase and the speed you receive at your home once again THE CAB IS NOT CAPPED
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 48

Well something is, as I can only get 32 MAX. EVEN ON A PERFECT, LOSSLESS LINE.

No one has yet explained why my max is 32 even on a lossless line.

0 Ratings