Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 48

Re: Awful Speeds & Service

you can only ever get the speed you IP profile is set at
NO LINE IS LOSSLESS apart from pure fibre the speed you are getting is because of the losses caused by you being on an aluminium line and the distance from the cabinet
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 48

yes i know no line is lossless. Im using it as an example.

So let's see if this is it:

because my line is **bleep** my IP (BT) is set at 32mbps. of which I get 85% of this so I get 28mbps.

What is the reasoning behind not giving my profile 40mbps, so the 15% loss of that, means i would get 34?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 43 of 48

no one ever gets 40mb because the IP profile is set below that on every line to allow for operating overheads you IP profile could be around 37 mb and your download speed can be any thing between 0 and 37mb so what you are getting is correct
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 48

to give you an idea these are the details for my line I am on the 80mb package my IP Profile is 77.4mb and my typical download speed is 76 mb every line is different
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 48

Ok, but why wouldnt my profile be set higher?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 46 of 48

the profile is set to the fastest stable speed your line can handle

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 48

be cause you are on the 40(38mb) that you ordered
post the full diagnostic test at ths web site and post the results then we can see if any thing is wrong do not use the beta test http://speedtester.bt.com/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 48 of 48

FYI, the engineer doesnt know how the speed capping works.

The cabs can pump out over 150mbps at source. As you get further away from the cab the rate you can get goes down and down and down... In your case this has meant it has dropped to 32mbps, where it stays as this has been determined as stable. Now, if you were to test this at anywhere in between the cab and your modem, you will still get a sync of 32mbps. This is because the system has seen that this is a stable speed. The line needs to be reset so it can run through the stabilisation period again.

0 Ratings