Hi there @jenfullick and welcome to the BT Residential Forums. 🙂
Please note that only BT Employees are forum moderators here. While they are the only moderators here, your posts don't go to BT directly and not every message is read: everyone else on these forums are customers just trying to assist, but to assist, we need some information to be posted:
1) Can you post the adsl stats from your router? Depending on the router, you may need to 'show detail' to get all the necessary stats (if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin: also go to troubleshooting -> helpdesk and post lines 1-12. If netgear enter 192.168.0.1).
2) Run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems). Once the first test completes, run the Further Diagnostics test and post the results (do not reset the router): the Further Diagnostics test will provide you with your connection's IP profile, which controls the throughput that you receive.
3) Can you go to the following link and post results here? Please delete number when posting the results: http://dslchecker.bt.com. This allows members to see the broadband packages available to you and whether your speeds are not within your estimates.
4) Are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?
5) Have you tried the quiet line test? If not, please dial 17070 and select option 2: you should hear nothing. The test is best done with a corded phone: cordless phones may hear a 'dull hum', which is normal
Once this information is posted, a user might be able to offer help or assistance to resolve the problem.
The test socket looks like this on most master sockets:
Thanks for posting. The engineer visit would be to complete and end to end check on the line etc to confirm it's working from your side. I'll be happy to lend a hand if you wish. Just send over the details? You'll get the contact link in my profile.