HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 20

Re: Awfull Broadband

We have an external NTE, broadband filters in all the sockets in the house.

When we moved in last year we used to get around 1.3mpbs now were on this speed.

Nothing has changed within the house.

Bt told us when we moved that we would get 1.5mb minimum speed this is obviously not the case.

The line attenuation is awful, which is out of our control.

The internal wiring has no bell wire connected we've already checked.

What on earth can we do?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

the line attenuation is because of your distance from the exchange and as you say out of your control with your attenuation you are unlikely to get much higher speed then you currently are you are on the limits of broadband service i am afraid
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

How has this been marked as solved?

If the line speeds have changed and nothing else has then you need to talk to BT as they are responsible for that part of the line.

You really are receiving awful speeds.

First though: try a different router if you have one and disconnect ALL other lines, see if that makes a difference. Could be faulty equipment and you may be charged if they send an engineer and the fault turns out to be at your end.

------------------------------------------------------
http://kennystechtalk.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

@KenSharp wrote:

How has this been marked as solved?

only the thread originator or mods can mark post solved - so I guess the originator is the answer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Well its not really resolved.

But ive done a line test check with BT and they say there is no fault or excess noise on the line even though you can barely use the house phone as you can hear static.

So not really know what to do. Dont want to pay for an engineer as cant afford it. And i dont fancy spending hours on hold with bt call centre staff half way around the world to try & get a new Home Hub sent to me.

We've been living here since November and this has only just started in the past week.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

Its slowly getting worse today

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 00:04:56
Downstream:896 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.2 dB / 10.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):70.4 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):16.1 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):298 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 20

Hi adster85,

There shouldn't be any noise on the line as that would be reducing your broadband's performance. When you dial 17070 and select option 2 (called quiet line test) there should be no noise, but a slight dull hum is normal for a cordless phone.

Long lines like yours can vary in speed from time to time as the environment changes. If you have an overhead line then it could be due to the heat from the warmer weather the UK is currently getting that might have caused a slight drop in speed.

You may also be interested in this here: http://goo.gl/MNb8s

It's about providing superfast broadband for rural communities and to areas with slow broadband speeds.

Also look out for your BDUK fibre broadband and broadband support scheme managed by your local council or local government.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

can you connect a corded phone preferably and then dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing.. if cordless then a dull hum is normal   any hiss/crackle need to be reported as a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Did the quiet line test was fine.

Im going to guess that its the hot weather at the moment thats making it worse.

I contacted one of the MP's in Staffordshire County Council who did confirm that my postcode/cabinet was on the BDUK/BT target area but we have no date as of yet.

They've done some work on the road to the cabinet with power cables but nothing else has happened as of yet.

We've also got workmen on the estate at the moment using drills to bring the ironworks up higher ready for tarmacing.

I really cant wait to get FTTC again, we had it before we moved and had the full 80/20 was lovely.

Im also out of work at the moment so i need the internet to apply daily for jobs, i got laid off 7 weeks ago and im struggling big style

0 Ratings