cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 20

Picture of my external connection

Decided today to actually take a look at the wiring outside and this is what i found.

No external NTE as the builders told us. The picture shows the main line coming in & then both of my internal wiring connected directly to it.

The orange bell wire isnt connected at all to the external line, there is a plastic clip on the internal lines connecting the orange wires together, but they arent connected inside the house.

I have no idea as to why the builders would connect both lines externally, instead of one being internal. does anyone have any suggestions ?

My Phone Line

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

Re: Picture of my external connection

so from the pic you have not external NTE as you say and the 2 internal sockets are star wired to the  incoming bt wires by gel connectors.  so both extensions are like masters instead of one master and extension conencted to master.  that type of conenction is certainly not helping your broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 20

I didnt think it would be as soon as i looked at it, i thought to myself this isnt going to be helping our slow broadband speeds / line attenuation.

(both internal sockets are filtered, wires 2&5 connected only)

Is there anything i can do to make this better?

I've been looking to see if theres some sort of external filter i could install but so far havent managed to find anything.

I know one obvious solution, just have one internal phone line, but i have no idea which internal wires go to which point so i dont fancy cutting them + im not sure how to re-connect them on the external wiring with the connectors etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

can't believe a bt engineer left your conenction like that - is it covered as there is no external NTE

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 20

I have no idea, we brought the property in November last year from the builders (brand new build) and everything was all wired in when we arrived.

Took bt 6 weeks to turn the phone line on at the exchange, we didnt even get an engineer call out to the premises.

Is there anything we can do, as its obvious that this will be causing some noise on the line and reducing broadband speeds even with both internal phone points being filtered.

* its a shame that there isnt a box customers can buy and put on the outside of the property with a pure filter solution built in for situations like this / & also for all phone line installations

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

are the wires in your pic open to the elements - no cover ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

Theres the standard grey BT cover but thats it, and its not overly flush with the wall with it being brick

I took it off to have a look at it and see how everything was connected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

looking back at your stats - with your attenuation of 70 you are about 5km from the exchange and at that distance a conenction speed of about 1mb would be about right on a good line

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 19 of 20

Okey dokey thats good to know at least 🙂

It must be the hot weather with the slower than usual performance at the moment putting more noise on the line than usual.

Its a real shame that BT dont actually with the new FTTC installs change the wiring outside the premises to be a filtered junction box. Im surprised that these products dont exist.

My broadband modem is connected to the first telephone port in the house (irony being its actually a master NTE5 box, even though really its not as its star wired outside the house)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

if you are lucky enough to get infinity then the BT engineer should change the star wiring as that is not good for your infinity conenction

0 Ratings