cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

BB HomeHub V2a - Firewall

I have the Black V2a Homehub connected to my main line. From this several wireless connections to 1 PC and two Xbox's. Hard wired is a homeplug to another BB Hub that is used as a slave for other devices around the house, 1 Laptop, 1 PC and another Xbox.

All can connect fine to the internet, all PC's and Laptop use Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows own Firewall.

I have been trying to setup one of the xbox's up as a media extender, and was having difficulty connecting to the Media Centre PC. The Xbox could be clearly seen on the Network via windows, but the PC nor the Xbox could find each other. After restarting SDDP on the PC, dissabling the PC firewall and then ensuring that Media Centres were an exception on the Windows Firewall, I was about to give up.

It was all working before on the 2 other xbox's, why this one was different is anyones guess.

After a little time out I returned to the HomeHub and looked at the advanced settings and found it's own firewall and disabled it. Bingo, the PC immediatetly popped it's little extender icon available prompt and the PC appeared on the Video tab of the Xbox. I then got the 8 digit code and then went through the Extender Setip on the PC. All connected and happily streaming my DVD collection on my PC to the Xbox.

My only question is, with each PC having it's own Firewall and Virus software, but with the Homehub Firewall disabled, what have I opened my network up to.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
SparkyST
Message 2 of 10

Re: BB HomeHub V2a - Firewall

Have the same issue was fine with the white home hub but just wont play ball. Is is ok to disable the homehubs firewall? if not will BT come up with a fix for it

0 Ratings
MooJuice
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Didn't anyone try hopping on the spot while balancing a tin of beans on their head?

I know how you feel about getting XBox sharing to work, but I found the simplest solution ever (for me anyways):  I don't have Windows Media Center (sic) as I use Vista Business, though Windows Media Player provides the same functionality using the same underlying Windows services but without the flashy interface.  After enabling media sharing I simply reboot the PC while the Xbox is switched on (and obviously connected), the PC is then able to identify the XBox and I can make it an authorised device.

Not saying that you shouldn't use Windows Media Centre, just saying a reboot might be in order during the process; and yes, my Hub 2.0's firewall is switched on!  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Many thanks for the replys guys.

Just one point as to why I use Media Centre, it can stream VOB files direct copies of DVD's with no transcoding so when ripping the DVD the whole process only takes minutes rather than hours converting to Divx or WMV or MP4.

Windows Media Players is fine for Divx and WMV or MP4 to stream but most of my library are VOB files.

I have found another work around and it's to do with DRM and clearing out the old Media Players DRM directory, so I may try that and the turn the firewall on again.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
BravoLima
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

DId you have any luck with this ? I had my bt infinity fitted yesterday and now my 360 and pc wont connect with media player......???

0 Ratings
krytes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

i had a prob with my 360 and laptop and media player but it was a easy fix for me by goin to control panel then set up file shareing ... This done the job for me and maybe worth a try

BravoLima
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Cheers I'll give that a try in the morning.  I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and before the Infinity Hub was fitted everything worked fine on my previous router without the need to mess with any settings on my pc or the router (except opening the usual ports for the xbox 360 in the router) so I know it must just be a set up issue, maybe the Hubs firewall...etc

0 Ratings
BravoLima
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

UPDATE : If you have the latest bt infinity home hub installed you need to disable the router firewall to get the Xbox 360 and Windows Media Player to see each other.
0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

My Hub Firewall is off and will stay off. I let the PC firewall control what it needs.

Streaming works on all the xbox's and I have no problems now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BravoLima
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Well it did work. Now it doesn't, again.
Wtf! Aargh this is doing my head in!!!!
0 Ratings