Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 29

Re: BB Speed since house move

So with 448 upstream you are on adslmax but with noise margin at normal 6db there is little scope for much faster speed. Adsl2 would of course increase up speed by 100%

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 29

I am gonna bring my JDSU home tomorrow and check the sync speed and other values and it will also show the line length.  Will post info from tester tomorrow. 

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 29

See what you find but mods may be able to get your line upgraded to adsl2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 29

Ran some checks with my trustee JDSU.....

Cct info is

PPPoA

G.DMT

Anx A ATU-R

Estimated Line length...  2.9Km

Actual              upstream... 448k    downstream...  4860k

Noise Margin     up...  19dB    down...  6.5dB

Line Atten         up...  31dB    down...  47dB

Signal Atten      up...  31dB    down...  35dB

Connect Methd...   fast / fast

In the cct info it does not show ADSL or ADSL2+ it shows G.DMT, so I believe I am on the max version (new type 20CN) which does only ouput 8mb from exchange.  It begs the question- is there a particular reason why they would not put me onto the same ADSL2+ (up to 20mb) service I was on before moving which was on the same exchange with approx the same line length to both houses over same type of copper pairs via one PCP ?

I have given up trying to use BBC iPlayer as it just buffers all the time and the other night I tried to watch an episode of Justified on BT Vision on demand, this also buffered a good few times but not as bad as iPlayer.  I have been watching Justified at my previous address before moving and it always streamed OK. I have not yet tried a movie !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 29

with your 47db line attenuation you connection speed is not going to be as good as previous home and probably about 5.5mb on adslmax or possibly 6.5mb on adsl2

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 29

Wholesale seem to have a policy of putting sub <8mb lines on ADSL MAX for best stability the mods have recently tried moving some customers to ADSL2+ and Wholesale have not offered the option
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 29

4.8mb connection speed should be more than enough to stream iplayer. Can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results. This will show if profile low and/or download speed low

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 29

Already done that, results are on 1st page here.  Since it was started on the 25th Feb it has been up and down like  a yo-yo from lowest at 2mb to highest at 5.5mb and the JDSU sync test shows many CRC errors and loads of FEC errors after only 15mins.  The line pair quality tests OK tho' and within acceptable limits for a good BB connection. As I type here the hub shows in sync at 3.1mb  compared to the 4mb plus earier this eveing when I posted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 29

I was trying to see if a problem with your profile but looking back your profile on new system and this changes as and when connection speed changes and no 3+ days delay like previous system

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 29

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 3.13 Mbps

0 Mbps4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.13 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.08 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.38 Mbps

0 Mbps0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.38Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
0 Ratings