Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 29

Re: BB Speed since house move

As I said profile is correct for connection speed and download speed very good and just exceeds the profile which normally should be less then profile. With a 3mb download speed should be able to stream

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 22 of 29

Not sure what you are meaning here.

I am trying to assertain why I have been put onto adslmax which has a lower up/downstream exchange output and not remained on adsl2+ which is double and was my previous service before moving house. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 29

Your download speed should be enough to stream iplayer from your btspeedtester results. It also appears that you are further away from the exchange than you thought compared to your previous home and the speeds at your current address will not be the same- but lower

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 24 of 29

As I said the BBC iPlayer buffers continually on BT vision to the extent it is unwatchable and the on-demand service on it also buffers. My previous address was 2.7km from exchange and the new address is 2.9km, not a massive difference.

The old address was served by older cabling via an old PCP to a pole with o/head d/wire and there was even some ali on the d'side network !  I know as I work this patch.

The new address is a new build house estate via a newer PCP with only 200 E'sides and approx only 90 or so working lines on it and all copper, E and D'side.   Neighbours who have service with other CP's don't seem to be having problems with slow sync speeds or when trying to stream on-demand services on their CP's BB service.

Unfortunately there is little chance that Openreach will be in a hurry to put in any DSLAM cabinet at my PCP due to the small amount of working lines at the PCP, even when the estate is completed there will only be another 40 or so houses with the PCP only less than 75% in use. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 29

with your downstream attenuation of 47 dB you are more like 3.4km from your exchange not 2.9km
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 29

I walk the route from house to exchange daily and drive it regularly. The PQT and sync test on my JDSU is usually quite accurate with the line length on both tests at 2.9km which is just under 2mile.

I have also checked distance and cable route on network records from exchange to my old address and it is actually slightly less at 2.8km (approx 1.7mile)

The old house was served via old cables to an older PCP with o/head d/wire and the D'side even had some Ali on it. The new house is in a new developement served via a newer PCP and it is all good copper from exchange to house. I don't see that the little difference in line length would have such a massive impact on the BB service I am getting.

As I keep saying...  The service I had at my old house was 21CN/ADSL2+ which was outputting at 22mb+ from exchange and was in sync at my hub at 12mb with little or no errors.

The service I now have is only outputting at 8.1mb at exchange so by the time it gets to the house it is down to between 3 and 5.5mb at best which is rubbish and the iPlayer and BT vision buffer constantly. Neighbours I have spoken to over the weekend advise they get better service and speeds from Sky and Talk Talk on the same Openreach cables ! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 27 of 29

My 2 teenage boys are staying with me this weekend, so far they have complained repeatedly that their x-box connection is dropping and the connection on their phones and i-pods is rubbish....  so it is not just me noticing the difference in the service.

If this is the best BT is offering me and there is no signs of Openreach fitting a DSLAM, I think I will be asking them, if by moving house, my vision contract has been renewed for 12 months or not. If this is not the case and they don't want to do something about the BB service, I will be cancelling it and BT vision and going to Sky !  I would rather pay for a decent service that works than get a poor service almost for free !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 29

with your attenuation of 47 you are not going to get 12.5mb no matter how hard you try and being on adsl2 may give slightly more speed than you currently receive but not 12.5mb - at a push and good conenction maybe 8mb on adsl2.

the speed from your old home is not really relevant as different line and as you are aware no 2 lines are the same even running to same pole and cabinet never mind totally different.

the esitmate from the dsl checker even showed a lower speed that you currently have so unless your line has some resistence causing the higher attenuation and lower speed there is little can be done to change things

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 29

@danstuartrobb wrote:

Not sure what you are meaning here.

I am trying to assertain why I have been put onto adslmax which has a lower up/downstream exchange output and not remained on adsl2+ which is double and was my previous service before moving house. 

As I posted before 

Wholesale seem to have a policy of putting sub <8mb lines on ADSL MAX for best stability the mods have recently tried moving some customers to ADSL2+ and Wholesale have not offered the option that is the reason you are on ADSLMAX 

0 Ratings