cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elestia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BB Speeds.

Been having an issue with speeds since i moved into my new place (2 weeks ago) - I brought the same kit from my old place.

Previous speeds were around 400-500kbps, not incredible but in terms of what i use it for (streaming / game updates) it was great.

Speedtest 11AM:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 638 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :768 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

Speedtest 6PM:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 604 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :768 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

Hub Manager Info:

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time4 days, 21:00:27
Downstream768 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)12.1 dB / 14.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)59.2 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)1.5 dBm / 1.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)4711 / 84
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1785 / 57
HEC Errors (Down/Up)4443 / 41
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)542 / 101

Current firmware:

4.7.5.1.83 (Type B)

-- On the surface it appears fine, but im actually recieving around 10% of what it claims i am (max speed i have seen on anything in the last 2 weeks is 79.8kbps).

-- Streaming is alot more difficult, ive had times where a 2-3 minute video was taking about 5-10 mins to fully stream.

-- Gaming tends to lag alot (something it never really had done previously with BT), especially in peak time - some days its been unplayable.

* An engineer came last week, gave me new cabling and had the profile reset for me, didnt change anything in terms of speed - however, the disconnects havent happed for the last few days.

* I have tried the connection on my laptop and the download speeds are the exact same (with the same speedtest results).

* As im the only one who uses this connection theres no way i could have hit the 100GB cap (im on Option 3). i installed one game VIA steam (around 10gb) and have only installed the steam game updates / streamed video in the last 6-7 weeks (My job keeps me out most of the day and the pc is switched off - my usual play time is between 6-11PM).

* I also do not torrent or anything similar.

Any advice would be incredible and anymore information needed id be happy to provide.

EL.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BB Speeds.

I think the move to your new place has resulted in you moving further away from the exchange.  With a down attenuation of 59db you are now about 4/4.5km from the exchange (line length) This will probaly result in slower speed than you had previously.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Elestia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I moved around 1mile from my previous location and friends in the area on BT get easily 400-600kbps steadily.

Just 80kps at the best of times and around 30kbps at peak is a joke tbf.

Looks like ill have to let the contract run and make a switch ^^.

0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Hello Elestia. The problem you have is the same as mine, in that your line length is huge resulting in slow speeds, however you should be able to get about 2500-3500Kbps. So it seems to me there is an issue.

I would also like to point out that Kbps is not the same as KB/s. The first is Kilobits, the second is kilobytes. Kilobits is the speed you connect at, kilobytes is what you'll see as a download speed, so where your friends get 400-600KB/s you're only getting 80, your friends will be syncing at about 4000-6000Kbps compared to your 768. This is why you're only downloading at about 10% of your sync speed, this is normal.

The problem you face is that changing to another ISP will make very little difference to your connection as it will still have to travel down your huge phone line which is the main thing affecting your speeds, however as I said you should be getting downloads 4-5 times faster than you currently are so I would ring BT and explain to them that you're having severe speed issues, they might be able to help you...

Good luck.

Elestia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Righto ^^.

Thanks Buddy.

0 Ratings
Elestia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Well, just a quick update on this.

Called BT - Routed to probably THE WORST call centre ever, no use there.

Emailed them instead, they decided they'd send me out a new Hub... 2 days later 2.0 (type A) arrived - the problem has worsened (didnt think that would be possible).

Speedtest Taken Just Before Posting:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :192 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

(i think maybe i did that test at its worst - usually D/l speeds are around 3-16kb/s)

Hub Manager Info:

Downstream192 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)11.2 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)59.2 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.5 dBm / 1.2 dBm
FEC Errors (Down/Up)1610 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)1 / 0

Its now unstable to point that im actually tpying up this message before i post (in Office).

I dont usually go by a PingTest - but this is about right for my gaming / internet experiences right now...

http://www.pingtest.net/result/19755752.png

I believe ive eliminated all issues on my end, all wiring is brand new (the engineer even added a BT ADSL filter socket)... i have 2 different boxes giving me the same results, 2 PC's and a laptop (which arent usually connected to the internet) giving the exact same speeds / issues.

Not sure what else to try to be honest, any advice would be appreciated ^^ (i am actually still waiting on a BT reply.. but that doesnt look like it'll be happening today..).

EL.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Hi Elestia

I can have this looked into for you if you haven't received any updates as yet.

Just drop me an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your account information and a link to this thread.

Thanks

Stuart

gobbybobby
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

7 Kbps!

must have taken an hour to load the page!

I am no expert. Correct me when I am wrong. Learning is good!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Elestia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Yep, to view even a 'simple' site like this... it takes a good minute to load each page.

A website with alot of images (or god forbid a video) takes atleast 2 minutes+.

Like i said though, i probably caught it at its worst point... its at around 160kbps right now. However, the speeds are more like 50-60kbps.

Just an example of how poor it is:

I tried to watch a 20 minute show yesterday - so i put it on and let it stream while i watched the football (3PM) - came and checked at full time thinking "1hr 30mins (inc. 15 minutes analysis in the middle) should be more than enough".... it was at around 75%... i started watching it and by the time id watched 15mins of what it had streamed already it had got to about 80% >.<

I had dialup a decade ago that was more reliable (and faster) than this is right now.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 21:49:42
Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)4.0 dB / 14.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)59.4 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.4 dBm / 1.3 dBm
FEC Errors (Down/Up)50422 / 13
CRC Errors (Down/Up)59 / 6
HEC Errors (Down/Up)58 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)30 / 7

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 10 of 10

Hi Elestia,

Picked up your there so I'll get back to you shortly.

Thanks,

Stephanie
0 Ratings