cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CV
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BB TALK RENEWAL (BBT)

On 3 December 2016 BB Talk will finish and for those who are still using it BT will forward their BBT calls free of charge for 1 year. Each year for the past 4 years I have tried to renew my BB Talk contract and I hit a brick wall with the front line services every time. The matter was only resolved by escalation. Now that it is finishing I know I can only remain on this service until December. Today I received an email telling me that unless I renew my contract I will face an extra charge of £6.75 for being out of contact ( even though it doesn't run out until 17th August ) and £5 for BT sport. I clicked the renewal link to see what would happen... having entered all my details BT advised me that I did not have a BT Line. Well having worked and retired from BT for a period of 46 years I have never not had a BT Line. A call the BT Sales/Contracts confirmed that in fact I did have a line, which was no surprise. They offered to renew my contract but, as those who know BT front line services well will know, BBT must go with any renewal contract. As I am not prepared to lose it until December I am left with no alternative but to pay extra for being out of contract and because I refuse on principal to paying extra for BT sport, BT will lose another customer as I will cancel it on 17 August 2016.

Most businesses wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water for only 4 months and just as annoying, I do not know any other business that would keep its customers holding on for at least 10- 15 minutes every time they call, telling them that they are very busy. If you went into a retailer to buy an item and the shop keeper said hold on I'll be with you in the next 10 to 15mins, 99% of us would walk out and buy the product elsewhere.  BT should forget whether or not this Country Votes to Leave the EU Their worst enemy will not be leaving the EU it's themselves and the way they deal with their loyal customers.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: BB TALK RENEWAL (BBT)

It seems to have been BT's policy for some time that you can't actually renew an old contract.  You can only start a new contract for a product or bundle that BT is offering now.  Since no current broadband product comes with BB Talk, that means you cannot renew a contract and keep it.

BT have been trying to get everybody off BB Talk for some time.  This is just one trick they are using.

CV
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

That's what they tell front line staff however whilst it's been off the " MENU " for at least a couple of years it's strange how complaints have managed to keep it going. Notwithstanding that you can also keep it if you do not renew your contract and run from month to month but once that happens then the loyalty to BT is lost and there are far better deals than BT's to be had if you are prepared to switch. In my case that will happen in December. I have stayed because this service suited my needs and I did not want to change suppliers Still what do they care about one customer but the one's soon add up to considerable numbers and it's not easy to get them back once they are gone

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

As an existing customer you can get a better deal by phoning the options team 0800800030 but by renewing contract you would lose BBT. As you have been on rolling contract for couple years to maintain BBT you have been paying more than you need to and could have save money

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

@CV I don't know what you are paying with your rolling contract, but I'm paying £36.49/m for unlimited anytime calls and unlimited Infinity1 by re-contracting.  I suspect you are paying more for your 'free' BBT calls.

0 Ratings
CV
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

You would think it would cost me more but that's not the case. I know that to keep it for the four months from August it will be a rolling contract and therefore more expensive BUT currently and for all my previous years I have been on a full 1 year BB contract. I only have the details for this year to hand but my standard ( not infinity) unlimted broadband is £19.20 LESS a special discount of £12.95 = £6.25 + BBT of £6.20 = £12.45. Line rental is paid yearly which I was happy to do because I was on a yearly BB contract. Weekend calls on my land line are included in this price so for £12.45 I have 3 lines 2 on BBT and my land line + unlimted 24/7 calls on the BBT number. The reason for this is that I stated that I did not want to upgrade my HUB 2 so I was given a new Broadband contract with the above discount knowing that I would be using a HUB 2. It was mentioned that if I upgraded my HUB 2 or it failed then I would lose BBT but that has not happend. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Hmm, I can see why you are unhappy!!

0 Ratings
CV
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I think it's more of a reason of why BT want to remove the last of their BBT customers :=) and why for me there are better deals available elsewhere now that BBT is finsihing.... still that's life and all good things come to an end at sometime but, the loss, of my custom to BT will be £600+ pa because I also have Tech Support; Answer; Line Rental and some calls which are not free.

0 Ratings
tonyk77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I have BB Talk. I understand that it will be discontinued from 3rd December and all calls to my BBT number will be transferred to my landline for a year and I will cease to pay for the service on 3rd December 2016.

1. If I get the transfer all calls for a year to my landline number without further charge, why have I been charged for BBT (£3.97)  until 10th December and not pro-rata for this month? I know it is not much of a refund, but principle is at stake here.

After the number is transferred to my main line number, will this transfer still continue until the 12 months is up if I change to BT infinity?

Tony

0 Ratings
CV
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hi the latest letter from BT now says that this BBT service will cease on the 11 December not the 3rd as previously advised.

0 Ratings