cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gouldyyyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BB and Phone

Phone and BB dropping out ever since I saw an openreach guy fiddling with the cab, any conincidence? Never happened before, baring in mind we've just been upgraded to ADSL2+ could this have anything to do with it?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BB and Phone

@gouldyyyy wrote:

Phone and BB dropping out ever since I saw an openreach guy fiddling with the cab, any conincidence? Never happened before, baring in mind we've just been upgraded to ADSL2+ could this have anything to do with it?

Possibly coincidence, but follow this guide, which covers speed and disconnections Speed and disconnections

0 Ratings
gouldyyyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Done all the usual stuff. Strangely, every time I run a line test it cuts out, which it never did on ADSL max.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@gouldyyyy wrote:
Done all the usual stuff. Strangely, every time I run a line test it cuts out, which it never did on ADSL max.

I assume you mean a copper line test, which is normally done on the equipment side of the BB, but I am not sure what else goes on, now that the 21CN MSANS are being used, as they were just being transferred over when I retired.

There could be a bad connection somewhere, but that should show up on the ADSL stats.

0 Ratings
gouldyyyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:48:15
Downstream:19,269 Kbps
Upstream:1,248 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):3.5 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):26.5 dB / 11.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):112012 / 25
CRC Events (Down/Up):4 / 9
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):212 / 11
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 6
I know the connections are tight at one point, because a dog chewed through the wire, and there wasn't more left so they had to join that wire to some other wire to the other part of the wire a bit like instead of --------|--------- it's a bit like 
----------|-------------------------------------|------- where '|' is the join.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Your broadband is running at greater that its expected speed of 17600Kbs, which is why the noise margin is so low, and errors are occuring.

What should happen is that over a period of a week or so, the disconnections should force the margin up.

If you read my article about noise margins, there it suggests a couple of things you can do Noise margins

The lower margins that BT have been using since about November last year, have been causing a few problems.

0 Ratings