Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cagey1two3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BB capped and keeps dropping?

Go to solution

Hi over the last few day my DL seems to of been capped to 8Mb, where previously I was getting 14.5Mb. 

I have tried the usual reset (BTHH 4) and have run BT wholesale performance test which shows the following results:-

btbb.jpg

I have also run the BB problem solver via my account and it says there is an issue, but when it gets to the check landline part, it starts the checking process then the BT HH disconnects and the BB light (b) flashes red so I cannot continue with the problem solver:- I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: BB capped and keeps dropping?

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
cagey1two3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks John for replying.

The quiet line test is OK, no noise on the line via test socket.

The technical log is as follows:-

12:12:48, 23 Jun.( 1567.940000) DSL noise margin: 5.80 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
12:12:47, 23 Jun.( 1567.020000) DSL line rate: 1228 Kbps upstream, 9724 Kbps downstream

btbb.jpg

btbb2.jpg

sorry can't seem to get the image to upload correctly .. this is the text:-

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.37 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 8.58 Mbps

Thanks

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution
You are not capped your line is within the operating range it should be at 12.2 Mbps your noise margin is at the default setting of 6 dB so it is showing no room for improvement
0 Ratings
cagey1two3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

My issue seems to be a much slower speed than I had previously, its dropped from being consistently around 14Mb and has dropped down to just over 8 with intermittent disconnects throughout the day.

As mentioned before I have also run the BB problem solver via my account and it says there is an issue, but when it gets to the check landline part, it starts the checking process then the BT HH disconnects and the BB light (b) flashes red so I cannot continue with the problem solver.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what the cause might be as it is becoming very frustrating.

Cheers

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
forget the problem solver

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

your connection is not capped it is in the middle of its operating range there is nothing that can be done to increase your speed

line conditions can and do change 

0 Ratings
cagey1two3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Hi, really could do with some help, I appreciate the expalnations regarding the speed of my line previously. 

I am spitting feathers right now, my connection is and has been unstable for a couple of weeks now, it is dropping out at least once daily. I've done all the tests that was asked and isolated the connection to the test socket and nothing has rectified it. 

I've been keeping an eye on another thread (https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Broadband-disconnects-Last-four-nights-in-a-...) because the issues are strikingly similar, but I obviously dont want to hijack the other users thread and want my own solution. Can someone with the appropriate knowledge please help before I have to consider cancelling my BT BB account.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
cagey1two3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for replying John, I have as suggested on other threads. I have changed the micro filters, pretty much all suggestions that I have read on various threads. Everything seems to be as expected, no noise on line. 

I just cant maintain a steady connection for more tha 24 hours. The only constant is the issue with regular disconnects.

Thanks

0 Ratings