cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BB connection keeps dropping

Since about April this year I've been suffering from very frequent BB signal drop outs.  Evetually, through the Mods (Dean), I've had a BT engineer replace my very old master socket and check the internal wiring (all ok). More recently I received a brand new HH3 to replace my HH2.  Despite all that the problem hasn't got any better and in fact it's got worse with my speed profile dropping to a measly 2.993 Mbps down and 1.09 Mbps up. I regularly used to get 9-12 Mb. Since I set up the new HH3 on 11.8.11, the longest time I've managed to stay connected for is just over 2 days.

Thanks to Dean who helped with the engineer's vist etc but I guess he must be on holiday or something as he hasn't responded to the email I sent on Thursday last (18.8.11).  Any other mods out there that can help?

I'm currently talking to Virgin Media about their BB service (I live in a cabled area) as my BT BB contract is up for renewal on 7.9.11.  I would prefer not to have to ditch BT but I'm at the end of my patience and simply want my fast, reliable BB service back.  

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BB connection keeps dropping

Hello :),
Can you please post your ADSL stats by following this direct link; http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9116 << it only works if you have a Home Hub 2.0+ and remember to type your password in!

Also we need a speedtest just to have a look and make sure everything's okay? Use this link http://bit.ly/o8qqQ9 as it will also help you diagnose and give you a list of solutions afterwards to help you diagnose your problems if it thinks there is a problem. Could you please also copy and paste the results from the White/Black/Green pop out page including your IP profile, DSL Connection Rate and speed achieved during test.

Can you also confirm if you're connected at the master socket or an extension? If so connect at the master socket as extensions can pick up interference.

What master socket do you have, most like the picture below?

Different Sockets

Lastly for now, call 17070 and Press Option 2 for the Quiet Line test and where possible use a corded phone as DECT handsets can pick up electrical interference?

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

HH3 Stats

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:25:38
Downstream:2.993 Mbps
Upstream:1.09 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):28.6 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):26.7 dB / 14.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.1 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 39
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 12
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):6302 / 2718

Speedtest results

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2491 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3064 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1115 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2702 Kbps

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 823 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1115 Kbps

The HH3 is directly connected to the master socket (through the usual ADSL filter). The type of master socket I have is the first one in your gallery of pictures and was fitted by a BT engineer on 25.7.11.  I tried the quiet line test first by using the test socket on the master (using a corded phone). and again using my corded phone that is also connected to master (via an extension lead).  I then tried the quiet line test on all extensions (3) using a corded phone. No problems in any of these tests.

The BT engineer has fitted a new master socket, declared himself happy with the internal wiring AND I have a brand new HH3.  The ony conclusion I can reach is that the problem must be with the line itself outside my house.  I never had a problem until recently (April).  I'm grateful for any help but the clock is ticking, my BB contarct is due for renewal on 7.9.11 and I don't want to renew with BT unless a solution can be found.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

have you tried connecting the hub to the test socket via a filter rather than the master and see if that changes anything

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Tried that - here are Hub stats

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:04:07
Downstream:2.993 Mbps
Upstream:1.109 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):28.8 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):26.7 dB / 14.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.1 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):6311 / 2721

They look much the same as the earlier ones I posted and as I tried to send this reply connection went!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

I think all your disconnections have resulted in the exchange seeing your line as unstable and increased the noise margin but when that failed to stop the disconnection I think that you are now in a banded profile especially with your noise margin at 28.8 and you connection speed exactly the same after reconnecting to test socket.

If that is the case then you need to stay connected 24/7 for 3+ days and the banding should be released and your connection increase with drop in noise margin.  If after 3+ days connection time and still at 2993mbps the I would contact the most to get you out the banding

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I understand that the exchange sees my line as unstable because of the all the disconnections. Problem is that the disconnections are not my doing! At around 2.15 pm today I'd been connected for 2 days. I had hoped that if I made it through another 24/36 hours then hopefully things would get better and the profile would increase.  Sadly, about an hour later I checked and found that connection had again dropped. I've sufferred 2 or 3 dropouts since so I decided it made no difference by trying the tests that I did. 

A short while ago one of the mods emailed me to set up another Engineer's visit - hopefully this week. I gather he will start at the exchange and work towards me. With a bit of luck, he will find a/the problem that he can rectify. Just waiting for confirmation of time and date of the visit.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

that's good at least you are getting some action to find the cause of the noise and disconnections

0 Ratings