hi, hope someone can help with this
My BT BB service used to be pretty good. A couple of weeks back I noticed that my BB performance had improved from (down/up) 6/0.3 to 13/0.9. Soon afterwards I noticed that I was getting quite a few drops in BB service. I decided to let it settle for few days - but it hasn't. Tried reseting.
I've also noticed that BB service often drops out about 10 secs after picking up the phone to make a call.
1. ADSL stats are:
2. only faint niose showed up on the quiet line test - could it be enough to make a difference at the higher speed?
3. master socket is pre-NTE5 (downstairs) with a single satellite also pre-NTE5 (upstairs)
4. bell wire has not been touched so I'm guessing it's still connected (is BT approval still based on using NTE5A - which I can't fit!!)
5. main socket hosts a cordless BT phone, satellite socket hosts the BB router and a corded BT phone. There's some line history: up to 1998 there was ISDN here, 98-2003 was 2 conventional voice circuits, 2003-8 was BT BB using a d-link, 2008 until now has been BT BB router.
Any ideas why I'm getting this service drop and what I can do to fix it?
I would start by removing the bellwire from both sockets just don' touch wires on 2 & 5 and also trying the router in the master socket then post stats again
hi - thanks the reply,
there are filters on both sockets, in fact there has been no change in the connectivity in about 2 years - problems only kicked in after speed increase
I'll try removing bell wire (t3 from memory) from both sockets and relocating the router to the master socket as suggested by "imjolly" and then repost stats .... could be a while
there is no rush just post back when you want.
the upgrade to adsl2+ brings with it a more aggressive system on line noise so what was a good line on adslmax may not necessarily be a good line on adsl2+ - but can be with some effort
The good news: I removed the bell wire connection from both master and satellite sockets. I also relocated the router to the master socket. Broadband came up ok. Tried the phones - both working fine.
The bad news: BB internet access has dropped a couple of times already - could be worse(?). It's too early to be precise but it feels about the same - ie: lift the phone and the within 15 seconds internet access has gone.
Do the stats look any better?
speed slightly faster and also less errors for the same 14min connection. try a double filter with the phone - connect filter to socket and hub to filter but cnenct another filter to phone side of first filter and then telephone into phone side of second filter and see if brodband still drops on making/receiving a phone call. if so then there is a high resistence fault and you need to contact the mods for help
can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you
Received my engineering call sunday 20/5/2012 at ~11.30.
Further tests I was asked to undertake:
1. eliminate possibility of BB router being cause by replacing with another unit - completed.
Unplugged satellite filter & phone. Tried a very old d-link that had been on this line up to 3 years ago but unable to get an effective connection. Borrowed another BT router - service came up just fine. Picked up the phone connected to the master socket to make a call and BB service dropped within 15 seconds. Repeated test - same result. I think this eliminates my BB router as the cause.
2. eliminate possibility of the satellite extension cable (having already removed the bell wire) being the cause by disconecting this at the master socket - not completed.
Opened up the master socket, but unlike disconnecting the bellwire I would need to be able to reconnect after this test which looks like it will require a special tool. Until this problem occurred I have never touched the BT cabling so I think I need to discuss this one further.
Next call due ~12.30 today
(Also - ref 16/5 19:59 posting - please note that there was only a single bellwire connection at the master socket before removal)