cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 158

BB disconnects when phone rings, had 18 BT visits so far HELP!

Almost every time the phone rings my broadband cuts off and my speed has dropped from 2Mbps to 384Kbps.

I contacted BT over 8 months ago and have had 18 engineer calls and they still haven't fixed it.

The last few days my speed has been an incredibly slow 135Kbps but even at this speed it disconnects when the phone rings.

They have changed the equipment in the exchange 6 or more times and swapped my E-side 3 or 4 times and I still get the same issue.

Apparently the speed of my line at the cabinet is 3.5Mbps and I think my D-side line is about 500 meters long.

I've always thought it was a problem on the D-side until an engineer told me he had swapped it for another, but now the last engineer says there are no spare D-side lines, so now I’m wondering if the engineer lied about swapping it.

I’ve googled this fault and most of the time it was caused by bad filters or faulty routers but I’ve tried 6 different routers and lots of filters.     I have found some people that had the exact same problem and it turned out to be a poor connection or an earth leakage on the D-side.

The last engineer that came out has admitted that they don’t want to examine a large section of my D-side because it’s 35 year old aluminium cable which is very fragile, that section of cable has 6 connections along its length that probably haven’t been touched for many years.

Surely my fault must be the higher voltage of the ringer signal causing a failure somewhere in my D-side line?

Other things I’ve noticed and reported are:

My caller display sometimes doesn’t show the incoming number.

Sometimes after I finish a phone call and put the phone down it rings 3 or 4 times.

Sometimes the phone rings but when I pick it up I hear a click and there is no one there (could be BT doing a test or my wife’s lover Smiley Surprised )

I have spent many many many hours trying to get this sorted, can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks.  Steve.

157 REPLIES 157
revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 158

Re: BB disconnects when phone rings, had 18 BT visits so far HELP!

My speed is up but it still disconnects every time the phone rings.

Here is my stats:

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 days, 00:52:21

Downstream:

1.372 Mbps

Upstream:

659.6 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.5 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

6.2 dB / 5.8 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

65.0 dB / 43.9 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

15.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

113157 / 9145

CRC Events (Down/Up):

421 / 240

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

1850 / 810

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

169 / 215

0 Ratings
revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 158

I'm waiting for 19th bt visit, looks like they will not show again.  It seems that when an engineer gets given a job he can either do it or go and get a smoothy Man Mad

this is really **bleep**!

0 Ratings
revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 158

These stats are from a very good day, the download drops to 384Kdps and the IP profile keeps dropping to 500Kbps.  I often have a much better upload speed than the download speed.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
835 Kbps

0 Kbps1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 835 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1405 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 659 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.38:22.36:68.35 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
478 Kbps

0 Kbps659 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 478 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 659 Kbps
0 Ratings
FlamingDeath
Contributor
Message 5 of 158

We had a similar problem recently, turned out it was a frayed wire outside the premises, underneath a BT drain cover, or whatever you want to call them.

The symptoms were:

no dialing tone & static sounds instead (although i imagine this would depend how badly frayed the wire is)

the BB disconnecting when phone rings, even tho filters installed correctly

Maybe thats the problem you got?

chelle1271
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 158

Hi this is exactly like my initial problem with BT....there was a slight fault at the exchange which required new connectors putting in but my IP profile was frozen at 135 kbps it had to be manually unstuck by the people in the uk. I seem to recall that the IP will drop to put a brake on an unstable connection to slow it down so it becomes stable, normally after a faut is fixed, the exchange will automatically reset the IP profile after a good period of  connection, however mine froze at 135...it took a bit of patience and then a bit of slight ire and a raised voice (but always polite) to get the message across that I needed a manual reset by them....and this bull about it taking days...they did it over the phone for the engineer on one visit, it's instantaneous when it's a manual reset. 

I must say though that by the time I got to that point my problem had been escalated to "intensive care" according to the engineer.....oh and also according to the engineer, some of them are only trained for general phone and broadband, you need one of the specially trained broadband engineers....how true that is I'm not sure, perhaps he was just bigging himself up but it made sense at the time as he fixed the problem none of the others had been able to.

revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 158

It's dropping again

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
659 Kbps

0 Kbps1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 659 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1070 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 649 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 7.45:32.04:60.61 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
400 Kbps

0 Kbps649 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 400 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 649 Kbps
0 Ratings
revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 158

I waited in all day Saturday but the engineer didn't show,  I've now waited in all Monday afternoon, it's 4.30PM and no engineer has shown YET!  I keep phoning BT and they say an engineer is definitely coming.

What am I suppose to do?  This is wasting so much of my time!

0 Ratings
revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 158

I have now complained to the Obudsmen http://www.ombudsman-services.org
1. My speed has dropped from 2Mbps to 384Kbps and the broadband disconnects every time the phone rings.  But now the biggest problem is that the engineers just don't bother to turn up. I waited in all Saturday and the engineer didn't show and now I've waited in today (Monday) and the engineer hasn't shown.
Also on quite a few occasions over the last few months they have said if I don't just put up with the fault they will cut my broadband all together. 
2. I have reported the fault and phoned and emailed BT probably 100 times.
3. I have had 20 appointments booked (many of those they didn't turn up) and more than 10 visits from engineers,  the last engineer told me that the fault is caused by a few hundred metres of 35 year old aluminium cable.
4. I really want the fault fixed but some compensation for the time I've spent emailing and phoning them, and for the loss of work would be good.
I estimate that I've spent over 50 hours emailing and phoning them and have also lost over 30 hours of my working time.  

0 Ratings
StephanieG
Community Manager - Retired
Message 10 of 158

Hi revocomputers,

I've just picked up your email here.

I can see that the helpdesk has already escalated this and to avoid double-handling I've contacted them for an update so we can be on the same page and move forward with this.

Sorry this is still ongoing, I will get back to you once I have some more info for you.

Thanks,

Stephanie