cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilMaxwell
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BB getting to the point of being unusable...

We moved house almost 2yrs ago into a new development, with a fibre enabled cabinet nearby and properties across the road getting average speed of +20Mbs

Problem tho, as I found out was approx 20/30yrds of collapsed ducting and instead of digging up road to cabinet that is only a few hundred yards from property, BT rerouted cable to different cabinet at least two miles away, possibly more.

I have spoke to engineer responsible for this install, he assured me he wanted it to nearby cabinet as per plan, but economics of digging road over ruled the cost of laying the longer cable so the accounts got their way instead of the engineers...

Anyways, I've now been stuck with speeds in average of 1Mbs, but recently they have been dropping, low, very low...

0.04Mbs was the lowest recently, possibly I assume as our development grows and more households use the line...?

This means, I can't watch YouTube clips without pausing them for at least 5 mins to pre-load, iPlayer constantly jitters, online gaming is definitely a no no...

Is there anything that I can do to encourage BT to address this problem, or I'm I stuck till fibre to home arrives or Virgin extend their network (there is a virgin line right outside our development, but not inside)

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 23:43:01
Downstream 1,920 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 10.8 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 16.5 dBm / 12.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 1297 / 5
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 76 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 2482
Hide Details
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BB getting to the point of being unusable...

with your attenuation, which is as high as router displays even though true figure may be higher, a coonnection speed of 1.9/2mb is about right.  however with your noise margin at 10.8 you still have some scope for a faster connection if you can get noise margin down to 6db

are you connected to master or preferably the test socket?  do you have extension sockets?

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PhilMaxwell
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Plugged into the master test socket, no extensions.

Laptop in work, working of iPad at minute, will bring home tomorrow night and retest speed.

Tried most things when I first moved here, all problems appear down to line length tho.

Even my phone line (which I rarely use cause it's pants) is so quiet you can hardly hear anyone, again I guess due to line length.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal.  any hiss/crackle need to be reported as a phone fault which when fixed will help your broadband 

phone faults

as you say the real problem is the length of your line from the exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PhilMaxwell
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

You think I would ever reach the point where the road will be dug up and the cable re laid as per original plan...?

Or is it a case of, hard luck the cable is now in, ok to the wrong place, but it's in so stuff it...
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

I think hard luck as the work needed must be seen as a profitable outlay as it not like the old BT as this company now has shareholders who want a return on their investment.  no different to virgin - you don't see them laying new cable to sign up new clients

0 Ratings