cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BB speed significantly slower on non-BT router. Can anyone help?

Hoping someone can help..  My BT home hub keeps dropping wireless and internet connection and I have to use the reset button at least 2/3 times a day.  

I got pretty fed up with this so I switched back to my Belkin Play router as an alternative but in doing so have experience a huge drop in speed.

When I connect to the 'net via the hub I get download speeds of 3.5/4 Mbps, checked and double checked on speedtester.bt.com and www.speedtest.net with similar results.

Whe I connect using the Belkin device the speed drops to generally below 1mps, occasionally around 1.5.  When its really low the web is shockingly slow.

Now I assume that BT aren't deliberately favouring their own equipment since that would be borderline illegal, I guess so I can only assume that its something to do with the settings.  the VC/MUx settings are identical to the hub 0/38 over PPoe, and I've tried adjusting the MTU around the 1400 - 1500 range after seeing information posted elsewhere.

I've also tried several factory resets and switched off all the other services the router provides such as Qos, Mac filtering, port forwarding, firewll etc. but with little or no improvement.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BB speed significantly slower on non-BT router. Can anyone help?

it should be pppoA not pppoE which is setting for cable or infinity

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

BT do not favour there own equipment you can use any router you like as many do one of your settings is incorrect it should be PP0A not 0E as that setting is only used with infinity also as routers use different chipsets they will differ in performance also due to internal electronic components every router made will perform differently
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

all the resets/changes you have been trying will not have helped your connection so in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Apologies, my mistake I mean PPoA not PPoE.  Hence my comment around that as far as I can see the settings are the same on both routers.  Interestingly, I noted when I first plugged the Belkin router in that, for the first 1/2 hour or so the speed was pretty much the same as the HH and then dropped.

I guess my other option is try to figure out why the Home Hub needs continual resetting.

I will post the adsl stats and speed tests when I get the opportunity.

Just for info, the routers both connect to the master socket, there are two sky connections spurred off this socket, both via hardwired extension cables (Sky's handiwork, not mine)

I will also try the connection via the test socket too and the quiet line test.  I do appreciate that different hardware behaves differently but I would not expect a 3mbs (around 85%) performance drop!  Just seems really odd.  I used the Belkin for months (albeit slightly slower) before the performance dropped off drastically.

One other thing, when I first switched over to the home hub, it too had really poor speeds but, a short while after I ran the speedtester tests (a couple of days after the switchover if I recall correctly, at least a few hours anyway) it suddenly sped up again and remained stable.  

All in all just seems like really odd behaviour and not something I could really chalk up to hardware differences or line contention or anything else really.  

I have tried disconnecting all other connections to the Belkin, switched off wireless and ran a single speedtest connected via ethernet and it still performed really badly.

Here's hoping I'm not lumbered with an unstable BT HH forever, just to get a decent connection.

(Note: I re-connected the HH over the weekend as the web pretty much ground to a halt - back to reseetting the router every few hours! 😞 )

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

try connecting to the test socket which will eliminate all other connections including sky and then post your router stats

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Please look at this if you have a Sky connection, its very important.

Connecting a Sky box

If it has been connected any other way, then you are asking for trouble with your connection.

0 Ratings