cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
felix76
Beginner
Message 121 of 183

Re: BBC Iplayer not watchable with BT INFINITY - warning!

Hello Dean M,

I too have a problem with iplayer on my Panasonic Viera P42GT30B TV.  When I was on Bt Broadband, no problem, after getting Infinity and a new Hub, the iplayer was unwatchable, buffering about every two seconds.

I rang BT and at first was advised that I should contact Panasonic, but after a few minutes was told that the solution was to disable the Firewall on the hub and I was talked through this procedure. Iplayer works perfectly with the firewall disabled.

That doesn't really solve the problem though does it. It's just a work around! I am paying for a particular service and then having to disable one of it's functions.

Looking at the number of logs on this forum it seems obvious to me that there is a problem with the new Home Hub 3 Type A and I can't understand how Bt can still not be able to solve the problem.

I would appreciate hearing from you about any proposed fix for this problem.

Regards

felix76

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 122 of 183

iPlayer out of no where buffering every 2 secs! Working fine 3/4 days ago, sad tidings 😞

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 123 of 183

Hi Felix,

The P42GT30B has ethernet and wifi.

Have you tried both both?

What connection type are you using?

Does iPlayer work OK on PC/tablet/phone etc?

0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 124 of 183

Welcome to the wonderful world of Out-of-Order packets, and Stateful Firewalls!

I've mentioned this before, and posted my own experiences - and I can tell you that there is a ludicrous amount of packets arriving in an out-of-order state (Queue length has peaked at 363).

I would have thought 16 be about the max - as this is the norm.

Since increasing the limit to 400, this is the results - the 83 dropped were due to me setting the memory limit to 2MB, now not a problem as I've increased it to 4MB.

Screen Shot 2012-10-24 at 15.07.30.png

When set to the default (16) I see approx 12.63% on average being delivered OoO, this means that if you download 100GB, you are actually downloading 113GB (rounded).  This means that if you are on a limited package, then you will be charged for packets that you haven't received because they have been dropped at the premeses, after the bean-counter!

Most people won't know that this is happening, it's only going to be on lines where there is major congestion, which from what I can tell is causing the OoO...No wonder they don't like people using their own equipment on their lines!

This would explain why it works when you turn the firewall off.

0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 125 of 183

Could you explain that again, but not in geek-speak please?
0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 126 of 183

Very high level overview...

When data is transmitted from the source to the destination, the data is broken up into smaller sized blocks, these blocks are then transmitted from the source and will eventually arrive at the destination.

The problem of out of order packets arise when traffic is being sent down multiple paths.

Imagine you have 4 cars, lined up in Red, Orange, Green and Blue, each of them leaving London with their destination being Brighton.

Each of these cars leave in order (ROGB), but take different roads to get to their destination.

Due to traffic on some of the roads, this means that they will arrive in a different order to which they left - if they had taken the same road, then they would have arrived the same, but they didn't and have arrived Orange Blue Green Red.

For the Stateful firewall to perform it's tasks, it needs these packets in the correct order - so it puts them in a queue and once it has gathered enough to be happy it will send them on.

Now imagine that the queue can only hold 3 cars, and Red and Green has turned up - if Blue now turns up then the whole queue is removed from existence, and is requested to be resent, if Orange arrives then they are sent on etc.

They also have to arrive within a certain time period otherwise they are dropped.

This means that if the home-hub's firewall only has a buffer of 16, and I'm seeing as much as 363 packets being out of order, there's going to be quite a few dropped packets, and this will account for streaming problems - as in how many times do they need to be resent before they finally get there....

I believe that these resent packets will account towards your montly usage.

0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 127 of 183

Thanks. Rather than completely switching off the firewall, is there a games setting that we could use that is higher than default?
0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 128 of 183

There maybe ways to fine-tune the firewall, increase the packet queue, I've not fully looked at all the settings so don't know what's there.

If you can get some screenshots of the Firewall and advanced settings, I can see what's there and advise.

To be honest, changes like this shouldn't need to be made, BT should sort out the problem and reduce the congestion - this is an ISP problem.

Possibly introduced with all the new monitoring and QoS controls that are being put on the lines.

0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 129 of 183

Thanks. I agree it is without doubt a BT issue, but they seem to not know what to do themselves. I'll post what I can at.the weekend.
0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 130 of 183

Yup, I know that, the evidence shows that, and what are they doing?

Diddly Squat!

I'm in the discussions on how to break the contract because they have failed to deliver, and will be going with someone not using an OpenReach line.

I'll let you know how it's done shortly....

0 Ratings