cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 151 of 183

Re: BBC Iplayer not watchable with BT INFINITY - warning!

Personally, I have no other speed issues on the family laptops, nor on YouTube on those devices, nor on YouTube playing iplayer material on the Smart TV ... just on iplayer when 'it feels like it'.  When usage is high I suspect.

QED

0 Ratings
0hM1ghty1
Contributor
Message 152 of 183

Update on Iplayer buffering issue on my Panasonic 32DT30.

I have, during the change over, both O2 and Infinity available at my home.  I have GigE switches (two) between the BT/O2 Router and the TV. All Cat5E

- Network: O2. Connection: wired via GE switches. Result: frequent (every approx 1 min) 'buffering circle'

- Network: O2. Connection: wired direct to router. Result: occiasional (>10 min between) 'buffering circle'

- Network: Infinity2 . Connection: wired via GE switches. Result: frequent (every approx 1 min) 'buffering circle'

- Network: Infinity2. Connection: wired direct t router. Result: frequent (every approx 1 min) 'buffering circle'

So, I get the problem on both BT and O2, but O2 is better if I bypass my GigE switches.

Anybody have any ideas? 

0 Ratings
apshep
Contributor
Message 153 of 183

Works on very other device and no speed issues (60+mbps). Yes I know that points to the TV, however the TV was dine before infinity 2, I have also had two months of no buffering at all, but for the last four months continual buffering symbol yet no interruption in the stream.
The TV is in the DMZ and is connected direct to the hub.
Aaarrrrggghhh.
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 154 of 183

Can you change the DNS settings on the TV to use Google - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 155 of 183

I rarely use BBC iplayer now due to the random buffering issues. I tried again this week with an episode of Celebrity Masterchef we'd missed earlier in the evening.  Half way through it buffered, and buffered, and buffered.

Surely by now BT you should have got this problem sorted?  Are you complacent or don't know what to do yourselves?

0 Ratings
etljnoy
Beginner
Message 156 of 183

I had a BE broadband connection previously and had no buffering issues. Changed to Infinity a few weeks ago and I have regular buffering on iplayer. I also have a Demon broadband connection and switched over to it and no further buffering experienced. It is definitely a BT Infinity problem. From what I have read on this forum it seems that BT do not seem to act upon what is being posted. 

Maybe they will if we start to raise these issues via social media?

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 157 of 183

What do the iPlayer diagnostics say? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 158 of 183

I do not have an iPlayer but is there anything in its setup that can give it a larger buffer so that it can keep up with the streaming speed,like we all use in the normal windows media player.?

It should have a setting that can buffer say about 5 mins of the stream before it actually starts playing etc too.?

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 159 of 183

No, because they are "protecting the content" http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/NF13735683?thread=7880167
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 160 of 183

Understood ray,then it appears that buffering will always be a problem as the original buffer is way to small for modern streaming methods imo.

0 Ratings