cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apshep
Contributor
Message 71 of 183

Re: BBC Iplayer not watchable with BT INFINITY - warning!

I have replied direct via email to Dean but below is the content:

FAO DEAN - Moderator Infinity problems and BBC iplayer.....

In response to your post I submit the following info and observations:

Prior to upgrade to Infinity 2 I dont recall having any issues with BBC iplayer on my Panasonic TV; TX L37DT30B. In fact prior to moving to BT I only had a standard ADSL line through Eclipse Internet and  that didnt have a problem at a max download speed of 4.5Mbps for standard definition iplayer.

The TV is Freesat with BBC iplayer as part of the Panasonic Viera Connect apps. It also has ITV player (no issues) and amoungst the Panasonic apps a 3D HD Panasonic demo app which requires high bandwidth to run smoothly in HD (around 10Mbps) (again no issues). Over thelast few months the iplayer has consistently buffered in low, medium and HD quality. There are occasional exceptions - sometimes early in the morning it seems to be OK and over the last 2 evenings it has also worked....BUT today it again buffers in low quality.

I have spoken with Panasonic and they believe that it is a BT/router issue. I have spoken with Freesat and they beleive it is a BT issue. I have spoken with BT (in India) and they deny any knowedge of any issues and flatly wouldnt progress my concerns.

So, in answer to your setup questions:

- BT Infinity  

- Current speeds from www.speedtester.bt.com (not the beta test) today (06/09/2012)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 72.92 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .  

Additional Information:  IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.62Mbps  Additional Information:  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

NOTE: these speeds are consistent with other recent tests

- Make, model and firmware - Panasonic TX-L37DT30B Software Ver: 1220-10000 (the most recent - the problem started before this update in July)  

- Make, model and firmware on your router - HomeHub 3 Type B Firmware V100R001C01B031SP12_L_B Connected via ehternet to the Gigabit port (I have also tried various leads and ports)  

- Only affects BBC iplayer on all quality settings   PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you help.

Thanks

apshep

0 Ratings
apshep
Contributor
Message 72 of 183

Adding to my previous post:

I have this eveniing tried my PS3 plugged into the router and can receive HD BBC iplayer without buffering (through ethernet cable) yet the Panasonic TV still buffers for the same programme at the same quality?????

Dean..... do you have any suggestions

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 73 of 183

apshep you will need to contact the mod team your self as the mods reply to you personally
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 74 of 183

I'm having some similar issues but some initial work suggests that some devices are connecting to different servers.

On one of my desktops I have the Iplayer downloader which has been struggling the last few days with some downloads at less that 1Mbps whilst streaming the same HD programme has no issues. I do wonder if this is not directly BT network related but further in the chain.

Both my Humax Foxsat HD & a Sony Blueray player are working fine with the Bluray reporting throughput at around 30Mbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 75 of 183

hippy i think you may have hit it on the head different servers some may not be able to cope with the download speed that Infinity provides
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 76 of 183

I'm really noticing this now I'm doing some further testing for BT, it amazing that the various pieces of equipment will top out themselves but when sharing my bandwidth they still maintain their appropriate speeds which leads me to think beyond the 'BT Retail' network and further along that chain.

I do think there are a number of people who worry to much about the top speed from speed test sites but forget that you do get limited by the transient internet conditions.

Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 183

yes i agree with you i feel the problem is beyond the BT network
as to speed tests yes i agree with you to many do worry about a 1 or 2 mb drop
0 Ratings
apshep
Contributor
Message 78 of 183

Thanks for the pointer to contact the mods direct, I have already sent a message via the contact page with no reply hence updating this thread......

Today, 1215pm PS3 buffers in HD and Low quality, TV buffers in HD and Low quality.

1225pm - PS3 works in HD, TV works in HD..........AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT is going on??????

Problems are generally worse int he evening (so I seem to recall).

BBC deny any problems.

Panasonic deny a problem.

BT, so far, have denied a problem.

But somewhere someone is at fault and I paid a lot of money to buy a TV with the iplayer so I could use it!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 79 of 183

the mods can take up to 3 working days to reply to you personally by either email or phone
0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 80 of 183

This can also be reported to the BBC.  This is the reply I got.  I think it's worth pushing from both directions:

Thank you contacting the BBC iPlayer Support Team.

I understand that you’re having problems with buffering via your Goodmans FreeSat device.

We appreciate your feedback and we’re aware of the issue, we’d like some further information such as the model number of your device and if you’re having problems viewing on other devices (such as laptops) using the same connection. We’ve published the following FAQ:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/freesat_buffer

The hyperlink doesn't lead to any FAQ, but rather a tedious reporting tool.

0 Ratings