Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CriticalMass
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BBC iplayer quality on Youview

I have noticed that programmes I've watched through the Humax Youview box on iplayer show a discernable improvement in quality over those previously on the BT Vision 2.0 box.

I'm aware that online the iplayer gives you the choice of watching a programme in standard definition or high definition or am wondering if through Youview it naturally defers to HD given the box is capable.

The improvements I've noticed are a much more stable image in terms of colour, tone and smoothness. Whilst before on the BT Vision box you could at times clearly see pixelated detail, especially within blacks and shadows.

Wondered if anybody else had any thoughts are can say whether iplayer would show HD as an automatic choice?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
r1sh12
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BBC iplayer quality on Youview

it could be the codec...?
Ill have to wait for my youview box to arrive before I can compare.

But Ill keep an eye out for it

0 Ratings
Petruchio
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

There is a setting in the Youview menu to automatically set quality to HD (if available). Also it should tell you before a programme starts if HD is set to on or off. Another way to tell is that the BBC watermark is smaller when an HD picture is being displayed.
0 Ratings
kwpc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Not sure if the YouView box does this but our tv checks the current bandwidth and scales the quality accordingly. Most of the time the picture is fantastic even in SD. Will be very interested to see how the YouView box compares.

0 Ratings