Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PD_BARBS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BBC very poor on BT TV

Hello folks

i recently switched from sky to BT and have been really disappointed with the quality on BBC, it’s like watching tv from the 80s.  I had the aerial installed with the switch over and I’m constantly getting signal strength of about 96%.  So not sure what the issue is, anyone got any ideas.

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
ney
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BBC very poor on BT TV

Are you watching the SD version of the BBC. I find SD version of the BBC to be ok but I mostly watch the HD versions of the BBC now and find the pitcure quality to be good.

Darren

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

How is the Youview box connected to the TV set?
0 Ratings
PD_BARBS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

No it was the HD version, cough cough it was watching strictly, but I mght try tv settings and motion blur

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11

Is it just BBC or is it all Freeview channels ? If you are using RF loop-through (where the aerial cable plugs into the set top box and another cable runs from the set top box to the TV), then try plugging the aerial directly into your TV, if your Freeview channels are now ok then there are two or three possibilities.

1. One or both of the aerial cables you are using is faulty
  2. One or both of the aerial sockets on the set top box are faulty
  3. The set top box is faulty or requires retuning

Many changes have happened to the digital platform since the change-over, the big changes all required your TV / set top box to be retuned.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

A signal strength of 96% can be much too high for the Youview tuners and something in the area of 70% seems to be much better.

A 6 or 12dB attenuator from the likes of Maplin might be a solution.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

The broadcast quality of high def BBC on terrestrial is very poor compared to some of the other hd channels and certainly lacks the picture quality of the same channels on Freesat in hd.

An attenuator won't improve picture quality as only the BBC can fix that at their end. If it's picture break up you are suffering then that is where an attenuator would come into play. I get signal strength consistently at 98% and never experience problems with picture break up. It also has to be noted that the Youview boxes have suffered from an issue where they don't correctly display signal strength readings anyway.

I believe from re-reading the original post by @PD_BARBS they are referring to the brodcast picture quality and not signal related issues.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

My question was to ascertain if they were using an HDMI connection to feed the signal from the box to the TV which would certainly affect the PQ.  We have still not yet been told.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Indeed it would @gomezz and yes unfortunately we can't be of any more help until we get an answer.

0 Ratings
PD_BARBS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Yeah I am using a HDMI cable to connect, but wouldn’t have thought that would have a big impact on quality, but can try direct to tc

0 Ratings