cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason404
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BBTalk without Home Hub

Is there any way of using the BBTalk phone number without using the Home Hub?  Is BBTalk a SIP VoIP service, which can be used with other VoIP equipment?

I know I can use the BT Softphone software, but I want to carry on using BBTalk with a hardware telephone, as I use it for business.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Linda_Smith
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BBTalk without Home Hub

Yes - it should work with any VOIP enabled router. There are messages somewhere (probably in the old deleted BT Beta forum....!!!) to tell you how to set it up. Obviously you won't be able to use the BT Hub phone but other DECT or wired phones should work okay depending on how your router is set up.
My broadband secrets and tips
Jason404
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks - that's unexpected good news, which certainly makes my plans a lot more feasible.

I've been searching on Google for more information about this and now I think I might get a Linksys PAP2 instead of a modem with VoIP.

If anybody here has any experience with this, it would be great to hear your advice.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Not sure if it still works but I used to use BB talk on a linksys ata and it worked all ok.

I have not used it recently,

It is possible to capture the password and login details for the sip account and then programme that info into the linksys, there are details on the net how to do this.

PM me if your require the settings.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Jason404
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks.  It's all sounding good, but one thing I have not mentioned, to keep things simpler, is that I am just about to be upgraded to BT Infinity.  I do not think that this should make any difference, as BBTalk seems to work with it, as I am getting another phone with the Infinity modem (neither of which I plan to use).

Do you know anything about the newer Linksys ATA stuff?  The PAP2 is an old but affordable model.  I am going to investigate the other consumer VoIP products they have made since, as well.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings